Don't Blame The Cook

The next morning Flo was sitting with her arms wrapped around her legs listening to Gene telling Spina to go to 3rd battalion.

"You know what we need, morphine, bandages, plasma. Now go" he said rather snappily. She gave Gene a look but didn't say anything, they were all at their wits end. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Flo started coughing up flem and leaped out of the foxhole to be sick in the snow.

Gene came up behind her and placed a hand on her back, she sighed "Gene, I'm fine". He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, he hated it when she was stubborn. "Flo, I think you should...." but he was cut off by her standing up, straightening her helmet and taking a wheezy breath. "I'm going to start our rounds, see you soon" she said walking off.

Gene stood shaking his head as Lip came up behind him. "Fizz give you some of her attitude?" Lip laughed affectionately. Gene smiled and said "Yes but she needs to remember that sometimes she needs to be taken care of" he nodded to Lip and walked off.

Flo came to Bill and Bucks foxhole first. She peeked her head under the tarp covering it and smiled "Hi boys, how're you holding up?". The two sergeants smiled at her and made room for her in the middle.

"Hey Fizz, you got anything for me yet?" Bill asked in a pleading tone. It made her heartbreak but all she could do is shake her head and sigh. "I'm sorry Bill, next time I'm in Bastogne I'll try and find something but all I can say at the moment is keep warm and stay hydrated" she said placing a kiss on his forehead.

She turned to Buck "How are you Bucky?", he laughed and replied "Fizz you know I don't like it when you call me Bucky, but I'm alright, trying to keep warm and rest" he said still smiling. Flo had always gotten on well with Buck even though he had not been with her at Toccoa. He was almost like a father figure to her and he was always ensuring she was taking care of herself. Flo smiled back at him "Good, keep trying, do any of you have any med supplies? Bandages, morphine, sulphur?" she asked while blowing into her hands to attempt to keep them warm.

"Sorry Fizzy, no, we gave doc roe out last supplies yesterday" she nodded and then asked "Any scissors?". Buck smiled at her, "Our Italian friend Perconte has some".

Flo almost growled and shook her head "Bloody Perco, he's gonna get a smack on the head, see you lads later" she said giving a small hug to each of them before she stormed over to Perco and Skinnys foxhole. Where Skinny was trying to sleep and Perco was brushing his teeth.

Flo crouched down, sighed and held out her hand to Perco raising her eyebrows.

Skinny sat there pissing himself laughing while Perco huffed and handed over his scissors he had hidden away in his pack.

She smiled at him "Thanks Perc, who knows they could save someone's life" she gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek. Skinny looked jealous, so she gave him a wee hug and kiss as well, as she did most nights with all the boys, so they felt some comfort.

***
Flo had been trying to sleep or at least rest in the medic foxhole for a couple of hours, but she just couldn't shut her brain off. She was constantly thinking of the predicament they were in and how she could help her boys. The cold didnt help the flu she was sure she was contracting. Her fingerless medic gloves did little to warm her hands and her helmet was not a substitute for a wolly hat.

She was just starting to drop off when she felt a hand on her shoulder "Floz, Flo, Flo" she could hear Gene. She tilted up her helmet and saw his concerned eyes, she smiled slightly to put him at ease and saw the tension relax in him. "Come on Flo, we need to get some food in you" he said helping her up from the foxhole.

They walked to where the men were sitting around a small fire on stumps, Flo and Gene sat slightly apart from the group. Joe came over and handed Gene a cup and tried to give one to Flo, but she took one look at it and shook her head saying "No thanks Joe", basically all the men looked at her and then looked to Gene with looks like they were pleading him to get her to eat.

Gene rolled his eyes and took the food from Joe, who nodded and stepped back but kept watching. "Flo I need to you to eat or I won't eat" Gene said with a tired voice.

Flo knew she was making life difficult for him, she couldn't stand to hear the sadness in his voice. She sighed and nodded taking the container, the men all relaxed and went back to eating.

Flo put the spoon loaded with gruel near her mouth and barely touched it with her tongue before she ran to the bushes and threw up. As she walked back after swirling her mouth with water and spitting, she saw all their concerned faces. She shouted "Lads I'm fine! It's just time of the month!" and at that most of them chuckled went back to eating although Luz called out "You don't know Fizz, could just be Joe's cooking" and with that they all laughed. Flo just sat by Gene and enjoyed the solidarity.

She tuned into Malark and Mucks conversation "Should have shot Hinkle in the ass" Malark was laughing and Muck replied "and he would have shot him in the ass". Malark and Muck were cackling and she was glad there was still some laughter around, even if it was delirious.

***
Soon they were all walking back to their foxholes and Bull had his arm wrapped around the young girl trying to give her some warmth.

That's when the artillery barrage started.

"Foxholes! Foxholes now!" Buck and the NCO's started shouting.

Flo dashed off to find her foxhole but a shell landed next to her and threw her into a tree.

The last thing she heard was a mix of panicked shouts of

"Floss!"

"Fizz!"

"Florence!"