Solitaire

They were stuck at a crossroads.

The men and Flo were getting restless and wanted to do more for the war, like they were reading many others were doing in the paper.

They were all still on full alert and had to take turns watching the OP's and Flo and Gene were busy practicing medical manoeuvres and reading their anatomy books.

Flo had a version of Grey's anatomy her nanny had given her before she passed away. Everytime she read the inscription she smiled.

One day Flo and Gene were sat in the aid station reading, when Gene asked, "What's wrong Flo?"

"Nothing" she said looking up briefly and shaking her head.

Gene closed his book and gave her a knowing look, "Cherie what is wrong, you didn't smile at your Grey's anatomy"

Flo sighed "You know I can't resist when you speak a word of French, okay. I got a letter from my family, James was almost killed in a pow camp. These Nazi's are monsters, how can we defeat them when they are that merciless, they did kill pow's. I don't know I'm just feeling a bit defeatest, it'll pass in a couple of days".

Gene came round and gave her a hug "Cherie, we knew it was going to be difficult. Granted we didn't know how horrible they were, but good always wins. I promise. We will liberate your brother and make the world a better place" Gene smiled as Flo smiled and nodded her head.

"You always make me feel better Gene" she said giving him a hug. "My mum thought one of the boys in our village surviving a bullet to the head was a miracle, how do you think she'd react if I told her the same thing happened to me" she laughed.

"I think she would march over here to Holland and bring you back" Gene laughed as well.

***
One afternoon, she was sat in the officers room on the floor playing solitaire. Winters and Nix were at the desk planning for their next attack on the crossroads.

"Fizz, have you noticed anything on the OP?" Winters asked.

She hummed and shook her head, "Nope, it all seems quiet except of course there's a German mg somewhere"

"But we can't risk men to just walk out into the road and find it for us" Nix sighed, "I wish they weren't so bloody good at hiding"

"Maybe we should go up the banks and keep a watch on the top, they are bound to pop their heads up at some point" Winters suggested.

Flo looked dubious, "I don't know sir, believe me I would follow you into hell but those banks are steep and you wouldn't get reliable reports without the men and me having at least half our body on the road"

Winters and Nix nodded. "Good point Fizzy, Dick I think she was trying to earn some brownie points there" Nix laugh slurred.

Winters smiled at the medic and then mirrored Flo's expression, which was full of concern for Nix and his continuous drinking. She would have to have a word with him about that.

Then Speirs came in,

"Hey Ron, hows it hanging in Dog" Nic said still sipping his VAT 69

"Same as yous, except we're moving out today" He said glancing at Flo who now gave him her full attention.

"Your moving out? Where?" she asked she said in a high concerned voice.

"I don't know Florrie" he replied

"Well Ron, I guess this is goodbye for now. But I'm sure we'll see you again. Your too good of a soldier to be lost to us" Winters said and stood up to grasp his hand firmly and put a hand on his shoulder.

Nix then gave Speirs a hug, but he was mostly wasted. But then again they had known each other for 2 years.

Speirs then turned to Flo, who had a sad expression on her face. Winters and Nix conveniently left the room and Flo didn't hold back. She flung herself at him and he held her just as closely.

"Ron, I'm not joking this time. No heroics. Promise me!" she said almost panicking.

"I promise. I promise Florrie" he whispered into her hair. He then said "You as well", as she nodded her head.

Flo wanted to tell him. She really did. But.. For once her courage failed her and she just asked "You've still got my lucky charm?"

He smiled "I never put it down"

And with one last hug, he left.

She could have cried.