Taking the Town

"Stand up, lift up. Let's go. Listen up!"

"It'll be dark soon. I want light and noise discipline from here on. No talking, no smoking.No playing grab-fanny with the man in front of you, Luz." Winters said as he then moved off with Luz.

"I wonder where we're going" Flo asked, "Looks like the whole division is moving"

Then Luz came back over, "Right men and Floss, we're taking Carentan. The Germans wanna keep it cause it's the only place that Utah and Omah artillery can link up, so lets move"

"1st Platoon, fall in behind Fox Company. You people from 2nd and 3rd Platoon, follow us." Winters shouted.

"Oh now we're just the people from 2nd platoon, gee thanks sir" Penk complained from next to her. She smiled and gave his arm a pat.

A few hours later, they were halted for about the 4th time.

"Oh my giddy aunt, we've stopped again?" Flo whispered to Gene

"We've lost Fox company again" Harry commented from in front of her

"Guess Sobel actually taught us something" smiled Chuck

Hoobs and Blithe from 1st platoon went out to find Fox company. While they were waiting Flo held her daisy necklace and started playing with the button on her med satchel.

She could hear Luz impersonating General Taylor ""'Remember boys, maybe three days and three nights of rough fightin', and you will be relieved!'". She rolled her eyes but smiled.

They found F company and started moving again, soon enough it was morning and they were approaching Carentan.

"This place looks a barrel of laughs" Flo sighed

The Winters motioned for 2nd and 3rd platoon to fall in behind him. Flo followed and crouched next to Bill, who patted her on the arm.

Winters then signaled for Harry to lead in 1st and then 2nd and 3rd would follow with Winters leading.

Go, Winters gave the order. Flo and Gene looked uneasily at each other. It was too quiet.

Suddenly a German MG started mowing men in 1st down. Flo didn't hesitate and sprint crawled forwards with Gene next to her, while most of the men were shouting for them to be careful as they ran to ditches on the side of the road.

Flo saw that Harry and Luz had made it through and she could hear Harry shouting "Where the fuck did everybody go?".

She couldn't worry about them now, through the gunfire she just focused on her patients, one had been hit in the leg but luckily it hadn't gone through his artery, she poured sulpha on the wound and bandaged it tightly before dragging him to cover.

 She saw Gene do the same with his man and then she took stock of what was around her. First, she noticed Winters and Buck pulling men up and over the ditch, in particular, Winters was having words with Blithe. While watching Shifty behind a chicken pen she heard "MEDIC" being screamed.

Gene ran to the voice while dodging the sniper, while she watched her boys take down German guns with grenades. She watched as Shifty killed the sniper with one bullet. She watched as Harry charged at a gun and took it down with a grenade. She watched as Tipper and Lieb destroy another gun with a bazooka. She watched as a German comes out, but Lieb fatally shoots him with his pistol. Then she heard another cry of "MEDIC"

She knew that voice, it was Lip. As she went to get up she noticed artillery was attacking them and a voice was calling them to get off the street, but the voice was becoming more panicked. Before she knew what she was doing Flo ran out into the road, weaving as the artillery fired around her. She could hear the men shouting "Fizz, what the fuck are you doing? Get off the street" but she kept running. She dodged and collapsed next to Lip.