Fatigue

On D-Day + 25 Harry and Nix were leading a patrol, as far as she could understand they needed to know whats in the farm house. Winters asked for volunteers and her head snapped up with shock when she heard Blithe say he would go.

She shuffled over and whispered to Joe "I guess he took Speirs's advice on board"

When no one else volunteers Harry picks Dukeman and Johnny.

While they are waiting, Harry starts to talk about Kitty to Nix. The boys notice that normally Flo would smile at them but today she just leaned her head on her arm and closed her eyes, that were soon snapped open. They heard a single shot and the inevitable "MEDIC".

The boys watched as Flo shouted "I've got this one Gene" and she sprinted off towards the call. She reached them and said, "Where's he hit johnny?".

"On the neck Fizz," he replied

"Okay let's get some sulpha on there and then we'll bandage it and he should be fine, you hear that Albert you're gonna be grand," She told him.

Then the rest of Easy caught up. They helped carry Blithe to the nearest aid station.

The 101st Airbourne got pulled back to a field camp near Utah beach for some R&R. They were going back to England soon.

On their way back, they noticed their Fizz not being as ready with her smile or a calming word as usual. The boys asked doc about it and Gene said,

"You must have noticed that she's on full alert all the time, the most I've seen her sleep these last 4 weeks is 4 hours and mostly it's not even that. She cares about us all too much and she sacrifices her wellbeing for ours."

"I'm gonna carry her the rest of the way" Bull announces and he walks towards Flo who is walking and chatting to Skinny, and he picks her up, throws her over his shoulder, and starts walking past Easy.

"Bill, put me down, your gonna throw your shoulder out" she shouts at him

"You just close your eyes back there Fizz and enjoy the ride", with that she rolled her eyes but did eventually close them.

When they arrived at the camp, Bull threw Flo down on a bunk and said "sleep". She took her boots, satchel, helmet, and webbing off, and finally fell asleep.

When she woke up, she could hear laughing and chatting with sunlight streaming through the windows.

She put her boots on, took out her braids and shook out her curly shoulder length and walked out into the sun in a dark brown army issued t-shirt and her regular army trousers. As she walked out, she spotted Bill, Babe, Malark, Joe, Penk and Skip chatting with some new boys. She walked over and pinched Penks coffee he had just made,

"Oh good morning gorgeous, decided to join us today" Penk laughed as he started making another coffee.

"Ugh I could still sleep for a year and not be satisfied" she sighed sitting down and resting her head on Malark's shoulder.

"Have you had anything to eat?" Skip asked as she shook her head

"Nope, I will do later, introduce me to the new boys," she said giving a smile that they had missed so much.

"This is Lester Hashey and Antonio Garcia" Bill said

"Nice to meet you, I'm Florence Hilton, one of the medics for Easy company, any problems give me a call" she smiled and then walked off with her coffee.

The 2 replacements looked happy after speaking to the small medic. They had heard some stories about her and after meeting her they could well believe they are true.

Flo walked into the mess hall and spotted 3 of her boys, "Hi Sir, Sir and Sir" she said laughing.

"Hi Floss" said Winters

"Hi Fizzy" Nix replied

"Hi Fizz" Lip smiled as she sat next to him with her cornflake breakfast.

"Any news about when we're heading back to England?" and by the looks, on their faces, it wasn't good news.

"No, we're heading back into France in a week or so" Nix replied

"Bloody brilliant" Flo sighed, "How're you all holding up?"

"We're all fine Fizz, unlike you, we have gotten enough sleep and have been eating all of our K rations," Lip said disapprovingly

"Hey, my job is to help people, and that's what I have been doing," Flo said it like they were accusing her of murder.

"We know Fizz, but please take care of yourself, for us" Winters added.

Flo nodded and got up after they had talked a bit longer. She decided to find Speirs. She wanted to talk to him. Luckily she saw him enter a hut and followed him to a room at the end.

She knocked and when she heard a frustrated "Enter", she went in looking amused as he turned to face her and his face visibly lit up.

"And there I was thinking you would be pleased to see me" she laughed as she shut the door behind her. 

"Florrie, your okay? Your taking care of yourself?" he asked hugging her and looking her over

Hugging him back tightly she said, "I'm fine Ronnie, much better than the ditch" she smiled.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that, don't want my favorite girl upset" he smiled

"Shut up" she smiled, "I wanna talk to you"

"Shoot" he said smiling

"Well, what you told Blithe about already being dead. Does that mean your not gonna fight for your life?"

He nodded at her words, grabbed her hand, and pulled her to the sofa. "Listen to me darling, I told Blithe what he needed to hear to do his job, he wasn't gonna make it if he didn't understand his job as a soldier. I heard he was injured but he's gonna live, I am definitely not going to dispose of my life willingly. But at the same time, we have a job to do and if it's between saving my life or my men's life, I will do what's best for them. And I know you would do the same Florrie, from what Winters was telling me you have been sacrificing yourself. But all you need to know is i am never gonna leave you alone.". At the end of his speech, he hugged her again and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

She smiled and said, "I had better be going, Te extrañaré y te amo pero no puedo decirte así que te lo digo en español". She laughed at his confused face, "You'll figure it out at some point". And then she left. 

The next day she was reading a new book Persuasion on the beach when she saw Malark and More on a motorcycle joy ride. She rolled her eyes but soon turned back around when she heard shouts of terror. They almost crashed 'the idiots' she thought to herself.

As she watched the waves crash against each other, she thought about all that had happened. 65 men lost, she would write to all of their families she decided, it was the least she could do. She already felt changed, more confident, sociable and strong. It was a funny feeling to feel during a war but she felt happy. Flo knew that being away from home and being valued as an individual and not compared to any of her family or friends she had discovered more about her herself than she ever thought was possible. One thing that shocked her was how capable she felt, she felt like she could climb Everest if someone asked her to. But the thing that made her feel happiest was that she knew love, she was helping people she loved. What more could a girl want? She smiled to herself.