7 down, 13 million to go

In October 1944, were in Schoonderlogt still in Holland. They were still stuck at a crossroads and Flo could feel the men were still restless.

One evening Flo and Gene were playing with the dog Tab had found called Trigger when she heard Lieb's voice shouting "Penetration, Contact". She quickly ran to the aid station with Gene on her tail.

"Alleys hurt" people shouted at her as she walked in, she walked to Alley's side and started ripping sulpha open and stifling the blood. As Gene came in she looked up and saw Lieb also holding his neck which was bleeding.

"Gene you keep working on Alley and I'll go sort Lieb out" Flo commanded

She sorted his wound out while he was talking about the patrol, "Seriously Fizz, it was shocking. The replacements are just babies, they'll get all of us killed"

"Don't talk like that Lieb, we can teach them and they'll soon learn, because you lot will kill them yourselves if they cause any deaths"

Before Lieb could answer, Winters and Harry came in, "Fizz, Gene or Spina we need a medic" Winters said.

"I'll go, Spin you take over Lieb and Gene continue with Alley"

"You sure Fizz? You don't have to volunteer" Gene asked concerned

"Nah your busy, I'll just grab my helmet" Flo said and smiled

Winters then spoke to Alley "MG42?"

"Yeah." He replied

"What are they shooting at? What's down there?"

"Headquarters."

"That's three miles away. Why reveal position now?"

"Not as smart as me and you?"

"I'll check it out anyway."

And with that, they left for patrol.

Flo crawled up the bank next to Winters and Lip. 

"Hold here. Wait for my signal." Winters said
"Yes, sir." Lip replied

"Fizz, you stay on the bank till we need you" Winters whispered and she nodded her head.

"1 st Squad, on me.
Go!"

"Second on the right.First on the right third on the right. Nail the machine gun. Second on the left. First on the left. Wait for my signal."

The mortars then started bombarding the road. Flo hardly flinched she was so used to gunfire at this point. 

She watched as they got a handful of jerry's in one blast, she smiled at Web as he whispered "7 down, 13 million to go" he sighed.

She shouted over the gunfire "Every little help's"

"MEDIC, MEDIC" she heard Johnny and Perc calling

Flo speed crawled towards the German guns and reached the boy's as they were pulling Dukeman's body back into cover.

"Where's he hit? Dukey can you hear me?" she asked but received no reply

By the time they reached cover Flo was fearing the worst, no response and when she checked no pulse. 

"Floss is he?" Perc trailed off

She swallowed slowly and took off his dog tags and handed them to Johnny and his signet ring he kept on that his mum had given him to Perc, "He's gone" she said hoarsely.  

The battle raged on around them, but there were no more calls for a medic. 

Lip then came running up to where Flo, Johnny and Perc were sat stunned and he said quickly,

"A handful of Kraut's, on the dyke, 1 2 o'clock! Start shooting, provide covering fire"

"How many Krauts are left?" Bull asked
"I don't know." Was the reply he got
"Come on, fall back!" Winters then shouted and the machine-gunners started providing covering fire. 

Winters came back and said "Fizzy you go back, we're okay here now. In a few hours we're going up to the front line, Luz will radio you when we need you and Gene to come up front"

Flo hesitated and looked at Dukeman's body.

"Floss it's alright, we'll birng him back" Johnny said softly

She nodded and crawled her way to the aid station. 

***

Flo walked into the aid station with her hands red. She had a stunned look on her face. Gene came over and walked her to the CP where they saluted the officers in there, she smiled at Lt Heylieger and made her way to a couch and sat down. He embraced her for half an hour before he asked "Did we lose someone?"

She nodded slowly "Dukey"

Gene just squeezed her. He could feel her hands shaking and he put his over to try and steady them. 

"Hows Alley and Lieb?" she asked sitting up, ready to march to the aid station.

"They're fine, Lieb is being stubborn and staying at the line, while Alley obviously can't and he has been sent to the 'hospital'. I'm sure he'll be fine Fizz" Gene smiled softly.

"Yeah, until he's recovered and has to be sent back" she said with venom

"Let's not worry about that now Cherie and focus on the fact he's gonna live," he said wrapping her fragile frame tighter in his arms. 

"Your right Geney, as usual" she said snuggling in, Flo then explained Winters plan for later.

"Winters always has a plan" Gene half smiled

"Good job he does"

Flo noticed a small mirror on the wall, she stood up and went to look at her hair. "Damn it" she said to herself. Her braids had come loose under her helmet which she now peeled off and set about redoing her braids.

"How do you do that so quickly?" Gene asked watching her quick movements

"I don't know practice. My mum taught me when i was about 8 and then i did my sisters hair" she shrugged, "I would be quicker but I'm trying to avoid using the fingers that have wet blood on them" she sighed and finished her plait as she wiped the wet blood on her uniform. Most of it was dry by now.