Human

"Irgendwelche verwundeten?" (Any wounded?) Flo shouted to the German prisoners. Yes she hated them. Yes they were her enemy. But at the end of the day, they were only defending their country, she could tell these weren't SS men.

A few of the jerries raised their hands and Flo jerked her head to tell them to follow her, but as she went to walk away a soldier she didn't recognise puller her back.

"What the hell do you think your doing? If their injured let them die, it's the same treatment they'd give us"

Flo turned and saluted as she saw Sergeant Griffiths.

"Sir, that may be the way they treat us, but we don't want to be like them do we" she said in a cold tone.

The man narrowed his eyes at her and started to walk around her, for the first time since Holland Flo felt vulnerable.

"No we don't, but I won't let you help them either, be on your way private"

Flo shook her head "I'm sorry if you don't agree sir, but as a human I won't let you deliberately withold care from men who need it"

From his shaking and the smell on his breath, Flo suddenly realized this man had been drinking. 'Okay just don't rile him up' she was thinking as he suddenly pointed his gun at her.

Flo stilled. 'No no I can't die this way' she thought as her breathing started to get shorter. The man just stared at her unmoving and Flo on instinct did the same, she just stared at him. Almost daring him to shoot her.

But then her saviour arrived "Is there a problem here Sergeant?" he said which made the man have to stand to attention and salute, therefore his gun lowered and was placed over his shoulder and Flo felt her breath return to her.

Heaven knows what the germans were thinking of this display.

"Captain Speirs sir, Private Hilton was  disobeying direct orders" he said with confidence, Flo was stood to attention but still managed to give him a glare.

"Private Hilton is this true?" Speirs said calmly, it reminded her of how he spoke that night when he saw them in the foxhole.

"Yes Sir, Sergeant Griffiths was preventing me from doing my job to provide medical care to the prisoners of war. I also believe that Sergeant Griffiths needs medical attention sir" Flo said in a subtle hint to warn Speirs about his drinking and Speirs obviously got it straight away as he nodded and replied "Well Sergeant I can't see anything wrong with Hiltons actions, get yourself over to the aid station and then I'll get some of the non coms to send the wounded krauts over" he then gave a slight nod to Flo who saluted and walked off.

She walked into her makeshift aid station and checked how much was in her canteen. Flo gave a quick glance at the door and saw Griffiths walking towards the hut.

She steeled herself ready for a confrontation but all he did was plop himself on the wooden table and glared at her with glazed eyes.

"You gonna tell them I'm a drunkard then?" he asked almost snarling at her, Flo rolled her eyes and replied while handing him her canteen filled with water "I don't think I need to tell them anything, Captain Speirs saw for himself".

He glared at her while drinking in large gulps "Only because you had yo cause a fuss over some bloody germans" he grumbled, she leant against the counter and returned his glare "Are they not people doing the same as us? Defending their country from who they think is the enemy".

"They're germans, full stop" he said and dropped her canteen on the floor and stormed out. Sighing Flo picked up her canteen and thought over his reasons for not wanting to help, they were of course valid the germans had killed her friends and had put her family in danger but they had done the same to them. The SS and Gestapo she couldn't stand, she wouldn't save any of them, but the normal soldiers who were fighting for their country and families she could tolerate, not like, tolerate.

"Kann ich reinkommen?" (can I come in?) a German suddenly asked breaking her out of her thoughts.

"Wie kann ich natürlich helfen?" (
Of course, how can I help?) Flo said and got her bandages out of her medic satchel ready to do her job.

***
When she had finished with the germans Flo swept a hand across her for head trying to keep herself awake when Bull suddenly entered with an injured Perco on his back.

Flo giggled as bull lay Perco down on his front on the wooden table. "What have we here Perco" she giggled as he scoffed and said "I think you can clearly see I've been hit with the Easy tradition Fizz" as he laid his head on the table while she poured sulpha on the wound and started bandaging it up.

Still smiling Flo started speaking to Bull "Can you call a truck for Perc please Bull? We'll get him back to the aid station", "Sure thing Fizz" Bull said as he stalked out on his task.

"Honestly you boys what am I going to do with you? You'll give me a heart attack by the end" she giggled, while Perco still rolled his eyes "I'm glad to know my pain amuses you Floss", before she could reply Malark and Johnny come in laughing as well and they start talking while Flo busies herself tidying the space and checking on Percos wound as well as keeping him hydrated.

Gene then stepped through the door and she ran over to give him a hug "At last, you took your time" she exclaimed while grabbing the supplies he had brought and finally giving Perc a shot of morphine. Gene observed her work, while she gave him a playful glare and he put his hands up in surrender "Sorry Étoile, but I'm a medic, what else do you expect me to look at" which made her give a little smile.

***
When Flo eventually came out of the hut she was exhausted and starving. Gene had told her to go and rest but first she needed to quiet her rumbling stomach. Marching over she looked around for her kitbag and found it in a puddle eventually, sighing Flo opened it and rooted about finding her mirror first.

Knowing she wasn't going to like what she saw, she opened it for a second saw blood and mud scattered about her face, her hair were so dirty and coming out of the tight braids. She just closed her eyes and flipped her mirror down, and went back to rummaging for her K rations.

When she found them she sat on an upturned wheelbarrow like the one Sobel had made her stand on back at Aldbourne, blimey that was a long time ago, back when Skip and Penk had been able to come and watch the shower door for her, protecting her even though it meant they got to the pub a little later that night, with these thoughts she felt a lump form in her throat as she chewed the inedible food.

"You look deep in thought Fizz" Lip said curiously as he wandered over to her and crouched next to her, she gave him a small smile "Just thinking about when Sobel made me stand on that wheelbarrow" and Lip gave a small chuckle and then made a face "Well his predictions about you were certainly wrong..... You've proved yourself to be an amazing soldier Florence".

Flo just bit her lip and looked up at him "Let's see how we'll that statement stands at the end of the war" and before Lip could protest she cut in "Now when are we being sent back to Mourmellon" she smiled at the thought of hot food, showers and beds but with the defeated look on Lips face she could tell it was bad news "Not anytime soon I'm afraid Fizz, they want us to take Noville and Rachamps before they even think about giving us a breather".

Giving a heavy sigh and closing her eyes for a minute Flo rolled her sleeves up whilst standing up with Lip following and she replied while walking back to the med hut over her shoulder "Then that's what we'll do then".