Bull's eye

Surprisingly they did get pulled back to England.

Flo knew she wouldn't get the time off to visit her family so she enjoyed spending time with her billited family instead who had 3 daughters around her age.

One morning the girls gave flo a dress which was a lovely lemon yellow and went well with her chestnut hair.

The 4 of them set off for the field full of daisies, this made Flo smile and hold her necklace.

They spread out the picnic and started talking and laughing. Suddenly Susie asked "Flo what was it like?"
"What was what like?" Flo said sounding dubious.
"The war" Amy said with enthusiasm
"Erm" she was thinking how to answer when she saw flashbacks of the German squeezing the life out of her, of seeing dead men laying in mud, the exhaustion and never being able to relax.
"It was hell" she said quietly
The girls looked shocked but didn't say anything more about it. They saw the cloud that had passed over Flo's face.
They spent the rest of the afternoon lazing in the sun and playing cricket.

As they were walking back, looking sun-kissed, a bunch of her boys came out the pub and took a double take at the girl in front of them. She was a far cry from the blood and mud covered exhausted girl from a week ago.

"Wow Fizzy, I never knew you cleaned up so well"

"Very funny Skippy" she said as she rolled her eyes.

The boys sensed she was in a mood and needed to release her frustrations.

"Hey Fizz, come with me for a minute" Chuck asked

Flo nodded her head and they walked to a bench looking out over a valley.

"What's wrong Floss?"

"Why on earth should anything be wrong?" she gave a sharp smile.

"Well let's see, you still look tired, your snappy and we all know you well enough to know that your not yourself"

Flo sighed "I'm sorry I've been horrible" she whispered.

"Now again what's wrong Floss?"

"I just... I can't sleep without nightmares. But the problem isn't the nightmares, it's that their real. I can feel the germans hands on my throat, I can see the faces of the dead men, I can see my friends injured and I can't get there, I can feel the bullet hitting my cheek and ankle, I can hear the shells and gunfire. And throughout all of it, I just can't make any sense of why it is happening"

Chuck then pulled her into a warm hug for a few minutes before he said "Floss none of us believed you would last 2 weeks, none of us believed you belonged here. But for more than 2 years you have been proving us wrong. Your much stronger than you realise, but your so intent on helping us, that you forget to let people help you as well. You need to talk about your issues, then people can help and you can not lose yourself in this war and become a hard hearted, cynacal women"

She smiled at that "Thanks chucky, but even if you think I'm strong, I don't see it"

"You won't" he smiled, "You don't see it because you don't think about it, you should see yourself in battle, you just go for it, but you don't see yourself as doing anything amazing because you just think it's your job. Well fizzy you go above and beyond the call of duty".

With that he got up and left her to think, but he turned around and said "Floss, there are going to be casualties in this war, you can't save everyone".

And with someone mentioning her biggest problem, she suddenly felt a weight lifted on her shoulders. She can't save everyone. 'I can't save everyone' she thought. And for the first time in 3 months she slept without a single nightmare.