Start Crawling

Meanwhile, Winters was checking Nix was okay after a ricochet. As Luz went past Winters asked for an update,

"We've got 4 dead, 11 injured and sir, Bulls still missing"

"Randleman?"

"Yes, sir" Luz then walked away

"Where's Bull?" Winters questioned himself

"I don't know, I didn't fire a shot the whole time. I did hear one thing though, Lieutenant Brewer is gonna make it" Nix smiled

"Impossible" Winters said shocked

Nix shrugged "He's headed back to England, Fizzy did a good job on him, she's a diamond that girl" he smiled.

Winters suddenly looked around him "Speaking of Fizz, I didn't see her come back. Anyone know where Fizz is!?"

With his question all the men suddenly started looking around for her, Lieb shouted to Gene "Roe, where's Fizz!?"

"She's not here? I told her to retreat!" Gene shouted back panicked

Garcia then piped up tears in his eyes "I...I saw her"

The men all listened intently, fear crossing their faces.

"She had been to see if Compton was okay, before she started retreating, a sniper got her, in the head" Garcia said then started crying.

"NO, NO YOUR LYING" Bill started shouting, as the men started to feel sick and a few were. Malark, Joe and Skip had their arms round each other. Web and Shifty went and sat out a bit farther from the group, no doubt to cry.

Dick and Nix entered the CP tent with Lip, Luz and Gene.

Dick put his head in his hands and was taking slow even breathes.

Nix was drinking......a lot

Lip was biting his bottom lip while his eyes were filling up, as were George's.

Gene looked impassive. He held nothing in his eyes. It looked like he had given up.

Dick then shakily said "I have nothing to say. In an ideal world, we would have time to grieve. But this is war, we have no such luxury" and that was all he said on the matter.

They heard shouting outside. They ran out and saw Garcia and Bill fighting. Bill was shouting "You should have brought back her body you bastard! Now the bastard krauts have her, they're gonna burn her".

Penk and Joe pulled Bill off and took him on a walk away from the scene.

Gene spoke quietly "Is there any way?"

Nix spoke slurred "No".

***

In Nuenen, Bull was sat on a barn floor with Fizz in his arms. When he had seen her lying there unconscious it had scared him. But he crawled over and checked her pulse, she was still alive.

Flo started to stir and Bull clapped a hand over her mouth, her eyes flew open then relaxed.

"What happened," she asked groggily

"From the look of the cut on your head, a sniper grazed your head and you got knocked unconscious"

"Bloody hell, no wonder I feel rough" she whispered, She then took a look at Bull, he looked shattered  "You can get some sleep Bull, I'll keep watch, I take it we're still in Nuenen, did the rest get out okay?"

"Yeah, they got out fine, okay but if you feel sleepy, wake me," Bull said and yawned.

She sat there trying to listen for any signs of life outside. As she looked out the window, she saw a group of dead soldiers lying near the entrance to the town. She had to do a double take but it looked like one had moved. 'I can't leave someone to die' she thought as she crawled out of the barn and into the open.