Into The Unknown

"Come on Floss, try it" Malarky laughed shoving his forkful of escargot at Flo.

Flo shook her head smiling but leaning back from the fork. She leaned so far back in her chair it fell, she gave a small yelp and then lay on the ground laughing with happy tears rolling down her cheeks. Hoobler laughing along helped her up, while Joe pushed Malarky over in his chair for payback. "When we get home, I'm gonna bring my future wife to Paris and propose in front of the Eiffel tower" Penkala said happily as the sauce from his fish rolled down his chin, which lieb slapped his napkin at to wipe it. "Floss, do you think she would like that, or is it too obvious?" Penk asked while wiping his chin. All the boys looked at her as thought about it, she then replied "Well it would be very nice and very romantic, but for me I would like something more personal. But once you get to know your girl Penk, you'll know what she likes" Flo smiled as he nodded and went back to eating.

Babe looked up from his paper and said "The battle of the bulge isn't going well apparently, reckon that will be where we get moved to when we go back?", Flo thought he looked rather terrified. She looked at the other men and stared at them to say 'Don't make him more scared than he is already, let him enjoy his time here'. They all gave a look of recognition and Lip replied to him" We have no idea where we'll be sent, no point speculating at the moment Babe".

"Yeah now shut up and eat your frogs legs" Luz says and with that the tension was diffused and for a second it felt like they were back in Toccoa.

***
Flo walked around Paris with Chuck looking for presents for her sister and parents. They walked into a cute little shop and started trying to find the perfect gifts. Chuck held up a little China hot air balloon and asked whether Libby would like it.

Flo smiled at him and nodded "I think anything you got her she would love Chucky". He rolled his eyes but smiled and took it to the counter. She looked round but nothing tempted her, in the end she just brought a postcard for her family.

On their way back to the hotel, Chuck insisted on buying Flo some macaroons. "But Chucky I don't want you to waste any money on me" she sighed as he kept walking to the patisserie. "No Floss, on our way you were talking about them, so I am making sure you have them" he said with determination. Flo rolled her eyes but stood against the wall outside the bakery and watched a little boy sat on the street waiting for his mum to come out of the grocers. He looked thin and pale, 'the war really hasn't left anybody untouched' she was thinking, so many children had been robbed of their childhoods, and for what? One man's greed. With these thoughts her blood began to boil, she tried to stay calm but gazing at the little boy playing with his toy train she found it hard not to burst into tears.

When Chuck came out he could see she was distracted, but he knew she would tell him what was wrong in her own time. He handed her a box that held 3 macaroons and took a chocolate one out and made her eat it. She smiled as she chewed and said "Thank you, I haven't had chocolate for a while". Chuck nodded and smiled as well and went on eating his macaroons, as they began to walk again Flo walked over to the little boy and gave him the rest of her treat. He looked up at her surprised and simply asked "Pourquoi?" (why). To which she smiled softly and replied "Parce que tu le mérites" (because you deserve it).

Then she walked away.

***
Luz was really starting to grate on her nerves. They were back in Holland and  she was sat with her head resting on Joe's shoulder and her feet on Lips lap watching a film in a makeshift cinema and all she could hear was Luz going "Have you seen this before, this is my favourite part". Then just as the man was going to say the line she could hear Luz doing a funny voice going "Gotta penny? Gotta Penny?", she turned in her seat saying "Georgie I love you but shut up!".