Skittish

After about an hour a search party of Gene and Malarky found Flo with tear stained cheeks and a indifference in her eyes.

"Floz thank goodness, never do that again!" Gene said collapsing next to her and hugging her tightly.

"Yeah Floss how many times do I have to say it, our hearts can't take it" Malark said with an easy smile and pulled her into his own tight hug.

"Sorry guys, I'm fine now" she smiled weakly, they didn't believe it for a second.

"Flo no your not. You don't have to tell us but know that our ears are always open" Gene said as she stood up with their arms around her. She just smiled and nodded at them.

As they plodded back Flo asked almost scared "How are the injured?".

"Their all fine Fizz, I promise you it wasn't your fault what happened to you patient with Park". Flo shook her head "Thats where your wrong Gene it was my fault, he went into fatal anaphylaxis because I gave him morphine which he is allergic to. I deserve to be struck off".

Gene nodded his head to Malark over her head and Malark left the two to it. Gene led Flo over to an empty bunk in one of the barracks. "Flo believe me when I say it wasn't your fault. None of us knew he was allergic. His medical band warning us had fallen off, he couldn't and no one did tell us. There was no way of you knowing, you were just completing the routine procedure for that surgery. So please do not blame yourself because we all need you so much". As Gene finished his speech Flo simply nodded and then said "I understand your reasoning Gene, but I don't think I will ever stop feeling guilty. But I can move on from it" she said at the end smiling slightly.

"that's all we need you to do cherie, now I slept while you were in surgery, it's your turn"

"Shouldn't I just check in at the aid sta"

"No" Gene said firmly.

She nodded and took her boots, webbing and helmet it off. She took out her plaits to release the pressure on her scalp and she finally took a rest.

She could have slept for a week but she was woken 2 hours later by shouting. She thought she could hear someone shouting "Stop it's Moose" but she couldn't be sure. She picked up her med satchel, stuffed her feet in her boots and ran out the door. Her hair down and bouncing on her shoulders as she ran to where the commotion was coming from.

When she arrived Gene was bent over Moose with Winters, "Flo thank god, help me" gene said as they moved him.

Flo immediately got to work and asked "He had morphine?" she would normally just have given it as there was no M on his forehead, but after the last experience she checked. It was lucky she did because Winters said "yeah he's had 2,3 syrettes  maybe". Flo stopped looking through her med satchel, "2 or 3 syrettes, were you trying to kill him!". She checked Mooses airway and breathing which luckily were normal. Gene, Flo, Winters and the sentry who shot him were carrying Moose towards the evac truck which Nix had called for. When Moose was safely in the truck and Spina was updated as Flo had written 3 M's and a question mark on his forehead, the truck left. Flo turned to look at Winters "Sir, what were you thinking? I know your not medical but in the crash course I gave you, I said 1 syrette of morphine in the opposite leg, your lucky he's still alive. I don't care if you panicked, you tell the men to get a grip on the battlefield, well now I'm telling you to get a grip" she said firmly. She then said to Gene "Your turn to sleep Gene, just come and give me an update" and with that she turned and walked back to the aid station.

She sat there thinking for a minute about all those they had lost since they dropped into Holland and some of them stupid deaths or injuries. Like Lt Brewer, Moose and Dukeman. Accidents that could have so easily been prevented had they just taken their time or warned people. She put her head in her hands and only looked up when Gene came in to giver her a situation report.