Easy's Leading

Back in their old position at Foy, Flo felt like they were a tennis ball, going back and forth but never any further than the court. They were doing okay for med supplies these days which gave the medics some relief as they tried to settle down to get some rest.

Gene and Flo still had discussions about how they could get extra blankets or socks for the men. Pneumonia was Flos biggest concern as they were no where near getting proper beds and warm food where they could recover properly and if she didn't keep them as warm as possible then Flo felt she would be responsible for their deaths. This was what she signed up for, to protect the men from dying from natural causes. And she would even if it killed her.

Every night she went around and ensured the men were as covered as possible and gave them each a kiss on the cheek. At the moment that piece of comfort is all she could give them.

***
"Im worried about Don" Flo announced as she was sat with Lip in a foxhole looking over at Malark on his own.

Lip looked over and put his arm around her "I know, Winters agrees he could use a few days off the line. He wants me to ask him to be his runner for a few days"

Flo shook her head "He won't do that, Bucks leaving today isn't he?"

Lip nodded and gave her a knowing look "Alright Fizz, I'll go ask him"

Flo gave Lip a small smile and kissed his cheek "Thank you"

Flo then watched Lip and Malark walk back to battalion to say goodbye to Buck.

***
Flo was putting another bandage on Bull's foot as he said his boots were starting to rub when a man came up to her shaking and said "Sergeant said I had to come and see you"

Flo frowned "Okay what's the matter private?" she said finishing off Bull's bandage and helping him slip his boot back on.

"I don't really know Doc, I was digging a foxhole and was told to come and see you"

Flo studied him carefully while wiping her nose with her sleeve, he looked dazed and as she looked him over she noticed his hands were filthy and his nails looked ripped to shreds 'what had he been doing?' she thought to herself.

She smiled kindly at him and sat him down with his back to a tree "Okay I'm just going to pour some witchazel onto your nails private just to ensure there's no infection and try to keep them as clean as possible for me" she said in a gentle voice.

He winced as she cleaned his nails "Sorry" Flo said continuing with her work, the man then said "Doc, do you ever get scared?"

She glanced up at him "Sometimes, but then I remember what I signed up for, to protect the men who are protecting home"

He nodded "Your a brave person doc, I think...... I think I'm scared"

Flo took his hand properly in hers "I'll let you into a secret private, you see the Toccoa men and you think they're not scared. They are. I've known them for almost 3 years and they are definitely scared, they're just better at hiding it. You mate need to process it, so you're going sit here until I say otherwise and hold my hand, close your eyes".

He closed his eyes and they sat there in silence for almost 2 hours.

When he re opened them, he gave a small smile and said "Thank you Hilton, I feel peaceful", she smiled and nodded and watched him walk off.

"Please God protect him" she whispered to herself.

***
As Flo was walking to the food, Lieb came up and swung an arm around her "Hey Flo Flo you hear Easy's gonna be leading the attack on Foy"