Christmas

As 1942 was coming to an end the men and Flo started to become giddy waiting for their Christmas day off.

"Hi Ho Silver"

"If he says that one more bloody time I am going to push him all the way down this hill" Floss grumbled.

"Now that is something I would love to see" Malark laughed.

"I'd help you Floss" Skinny said seriously

When they arrived back at their barracks all their personal possessions were on the floor, including Flo's pads, she could have died of embarrassment. She could feel a dark blush rising on her cheeks as all the boys looked over to her bed to see why she had stopped dead in the middle of the room.

"Guys look away" Lieb shouted as Floss snapped to her senses and ran over to put everything away.

What really got to Flo was one of her letters from James that her parents had passed on was ripped in half, for all she knew this could have been the last letter she ever received from him.

The boys noticed her change in demeanor, but knew she didn't like them to see her weakness. They left her alone till tea,

"Fizz, you coming to the mess Hall?" Joe asked tentatively

"No"

"Aren't you hungry?" Babe said

"No"

All the men looked at each other, this was not the Florence they knew, something had happened.

"Do you want to talk about it Fizz?" Chuck asked

"No, guys just go to tea, i will be fine tomorrow"

"Okay, if your sure" Bill said

By the time they came back Flo was sleeping peacefully, although she had tear stains on her cheeks.

The next morning was Sunday. She got up early, met Speirs but was silent the whole run up. He noticed and understood she didn't want to talk.

When they reached the top, she sat down next to the stone and he sat next to her waiting for her to talk.

"I've never been close to my older brother, he used to ignore me and we would argue all the time. He was close to our little brother and sister but with me, our mum used to have to tell him to say sorry to me at least 10 times a day. When the war was announced he immediately enlisted, a day before he left he said to me 'I hope a bomb gets rid of you so I never have to see you again'".

Speirs looked shocked and held her hand tightly as she went on

" 2 years he had been gone, he's my brother and even if he doesn't like me, I still love him, that's when we heard he had been taken to a prisoner of war camp. I won't go into details but we all had our ways of dealing with it. He's still there now and I pray every night that they are not hurting him. Anyway, before he was captured he had sent me a letter saying sorry, sincerely for the first time in his life he was apologising to me and he told me I'm his little sister and he loves me"

Flo let out a little cry then but didn't let the tears fall as Speirs kept holding her hand.

"That letter is one of my most precious possessions and last night I got back to my bunk and while looking through my private things he has torn the letter in half, I just, it could be the last thing he e e ever says t t to me and n n now it's r r ruined"

Floss stammered out as she finally broke down crying. Speirs was the only person ever who had seen her cry. He held her to his chest until she calmed down and then he said