Chapter 9: George

YN POV:

Today is the day of the banishing. Nick and the other two boys are going to be thrown into the maze. I honestly felt kind of bad for the boys, I mean they did wrong, but should we really kill them for it? I mean they did break one of the most important rules, and they killed one of my friends.

I was honestly more worried about Newt, he was doing so well recently, eating proper meals, he stopped cutting and he was becoming more happy. But now that all went to waste, since George was one of his best friends he's not doing so well anymore. He went back to barely eating and he looks like he hasn't been sleeping, his hair is a mess and he has deep eyebags under his bloodshot eyes. he looks... tired not only physically but mentally, he looks drained.

Alby decided that before the banishing, we would pay our respects to George. The baggers already berried him yesterday and Gally made a wooden cross with George's name on it.

Me and Newt were in our room just talking, his head in my lap as I sat against the wall. I was slowly stroking his hair.

"Newt, it's going to be okay." I said.

"I know. It's just, I miss him." He replied.

"I know you do, but he wouldn't want you to beat yourself up so much." I said. "When's the last time you slept?" I asked him.

"I-I don't remember." He said. I sighed in reply.

"You need to take care of yourself." I exclaimed.

"I know it's just-" I cut him off.

"No Newt, stop making excuses. We all miss him but we have to keep living our lives. That's what he would of wanted." I said calmly. he just sighed and closed his eyes.

We were in a comfortable silence, that's when I realised, Newt fell asleep, after not sleeping for who knows how long he finally fell asleep. I was just sat there watching him sleep, when the door opened. It was Minho, he slowly walked in looking at the blonde that was laying in my lap.

"How's he doing?" He asked, worried about his best friend.

"Better, this is the first time he has slept in a while." I replied, still stroking Newt's hair.

"Alby said it's time for George's-" His voice suddenly cracked mid-sentence.

"Minho, it's okay, come here." I said. He then sat down beside me and put his head on my shoulder.

"I miss him." Minho said, his voice shaking slightly. I didn't reply I just put my arm around his shoulder half-hugging him, because sometimes actions are much better than words.

We stayed like this for a while, Newt in my lap, Minho in my embrace.

"We better get going then." I said, breaking the silence. Minho took his head off of my shoulder.

"Yeah. We should wake him up." He said. I then started lightly shacking Newt's shoulder, his eyes flickered open.

"Hey Newt, we have to go and pay our respects to George now." I said, he just nodded his head in reply.

We walked out of the homestead and headed towards the deadheads. When we got there all our friends were already there; Gally, Alby, Frypan and Ben.

"George, he was my best friend. We used to build random things together and prank Alby, I remember one time when George somehow managed to convince me to take Alby's clothes while he was showering. It earned us both a night in the pit, but the important thing is that we had fun whilst doing it. I'll miss you George." Gally said, tears running down his cheeks.

"George was one of the gladers but not just that, he was my friend. He used to as Gally said, pull stupid jokes on me, but honestly it just made my days better. I'll miss you man." Alby said, also crying.

Everyone finished their speeches, and at the end we were all in tears. We weren't just a group of friends, we were a family, and one of the members just left.

We soon left and went to dinner, we all sat down at one table and ate in silence, no one had the energy to speak.

"Alright, it's time for the banishing." Alby said getting up from his seat. We soon followed, standing up and putting our plates away.

Newt, Alby, Frypan and I went to stand by the doors, whilst Minho, Gally and Ben went to grab the three buys that were getting banished.

A crowd gathered around the doors and Alby told Frypan to get the poles. Minho, Gally and Ben soon came back with the boys and pushed them into the semi-circle.

"Nick of the slicers, Gareth of the track-hoes and Danny of the builders. You are being banished into the maze for breaking the 2nd rule of the glade and killing George." Alby said with a voice of authority. The ground started violently shaking, signalling the doors closing. "Poles!" Alby shouted. All the keepers, Newt and I grabbed the poles and pointed it at the three boys.

"NO! Please don't, we didn't mean for him to die!" Nick shouted.

But nobody listened we moved forward, forcing them to walk backwards into the closing maze doors.

"NO! PLEASE DON'T DO THIS" Gareth shouted. The boys got to the other side of the doors, only 1 meter separating them from closing.

And with a loud boom and one last scream, the doors were closed and everything went quiet, we put all of the poles against the closed doors and one by one everyone started leaving. The last people there were only my friends and me. I walked up to Newt and hugged him tightly, soon Minho joined and then Frypan and then slowly everyone else joined in the group hug.

"I love you shuckfaces." I said after hugging in silence for a while.

"We love you too." They all replied.

We all pulled away and started heading for bed. All of us still shared rooms, Newt and me, Frypan and Ben, Minho and Alby and now Gally by himself all of the keepers also shared rooms whilst the rest of the gladers all slept outside in hammocks.

Newt and I walked into our room and the others went into theirs. Newt and I both went and sat on his bed.

"Hey, should we push our beds together so we can have more space? since we always sleep together anyway." Newt asked.

"Oh my god, that's a brilliant idea!" I said exited, Newt just chuckled at me.

So we did as he said we moved our bedside tables away and then pushed our two single beds together to make a double one. after we finished our little renovating we lied down in bed. My head on his chest and his arms wrapped around me, gently stroking my hair.

"Should we tell them that we're dating?" Newt asked.

"We could or we could drop them subtle hints until they finally realise." I said looking up at him and smirking.

"I choose the second option." He said, looking down at me and also smirking.

"Okay then it's set, lets see how dumb our friends are." I said, still smirking. "Night Newt. I love you." I added.

"Night, I love you too."

And with that we both fell asleep, Newt finally having a good nights sleep.