Chapter 24: The Code

YN POV

"Thomas! Wait!" I heard behind me, I looked in the direction of the shouts and saw Thomas running out of the room and everyone else following behind him.

I then heard a groan and looked down, Newt's eyes were open, "What happened?" He asked.

"Gally hit you with a plank of wood. Are you okay?" I asked.

"I think so" Newt replied, he slowly got up into a sitting position and then stood up.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I asked getting up as well.

"Yes." He replied. "Where is everyone?" He asked.

"I don't know, I wasn't really listening, I was trying to make sure you're not dead." I replied. "But I saw them all run out." I added.

"FIRE!" Someone shouted outside. Newt and I quickly ran out into the glade.

"Winston, what's going on?" I asked stopping the boy from running.

"It's the map room, someone set it on fire." He replied and then took off running again.

We ran towards the map room and noticed all of our friends standing outside, apart from Thomas. They were throwing buckets of water at the flames, trying to extinguish the fire.

After a while we finally managed to stop the fire and ran inside. On the ground laid an unconscious Alby with a massive bruise on his forehead.

"Alby!" Newt shouted and ran over to the boy. "Alby wake up! Alby!" Newt kept repeating. Alby suddenly took a large intake of breath.

"It was them. They were controlling me." Alby said and sat up.

"Who?" Minho asked crouching beside Alby.

"Them. WICKED, the creators." Alby replied. "We need the maps, they were trying to get rid of them." He added.

"No. No. No. They're all gone, they all burnt." Anna said frantically.

"Not exactly." Minho smirked standing up again.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "They were all in here." I added.

"Well, after Alby told us to 'protect the maps' Thomas and I hid the maps in the storage room and replaced them with fakes since we figured out WICKED was planning something." Minho explained.

"Minho, you brilliant son of a b-"

"Language!" Newt shouted at Frypan before he could finish his sentence.

"Okay then, I'll take Newt and Alby to the med-hut. Frypan, Minho, Anna, Chuck, Teresa and Thom-" I cut myself off, "Wait, where is Thomas?" I asked.

"The dumb shank ran out chasing the grievers and got stung, he's with the med-jacks." Anna replied.

"Just go and try to figure out how the maps are a code." Newt said.

We all spilt up and whilst I took Newt and Alby to the med-jacks, the rest of the group went to the storage room.

"Clint! Jeff! You in here?" I shouted. Clint came out of one of the rooms and walked up to us.

"You need anything?" He asked.

"Yeah, can you help me wrap these two up?" I asked.

"Course, I'll take Alby since he looks like he needs stiches, you take Newt." He replied.

Clint showed Newt and I into an empty room, I made Newt sit on the bed whilst I went to get all of the equipment.

After I got everything I needed I went and sat down on a chair in front of Newt. I put some alcohol on a cloth, "This will sting a little bit." I said and put the cloth onto Newts forehead which made him hiss in pain. I took a bandage and wrapped it around his head. "If you feel sick tell me, it could mean you have a concussion." I told him.

"Okay." He replied. He then looked down at the floor and sighed.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"It just seems like ever since we were put in charge everything has started going wrong." Newt replied looking up at me.

"Don't say that, it's not anyone's fault, it doesn't matter who's in charge bad things will happen either way. You can run from them or fight against them." I said, I brushed his hair out of his eyes "Now come on, we have to get to the others." I said.

We left the med-hut and went to the storage room in the homestead. Once we got there, everyone was looking at the maps.

"I don't know what we can do." Minho sighed.

"Wait, let me see." I said as a thought struck my mind. I walked up to Minho and took the map out of his hand. "Alright Fry, go get me some parchment paper from the kitchen. Anna and Teresa go find me as many pens or pencils as you can." I ordered.

"YN what are you doing?" Minho asked.

"We're gonna trace the maps onto parchment paper; it might be easier to see a code." I replied. "Now go." I said.

Anna, Teresa and Frypan soon came back with the equipment. I put one of the maps on the table and put the parchment paper on top of it, I then traced the lines carefully with a pencil.

Everyone else soon joined me and we all started tracing the maps.

"YN, I think I found something." Teresa said. I walked up to her and looked over her shoulder at the map.

FLOAT

The word was written on the stacked up maps, the maze walls aligning in a secret formation to form the letters.

"Float, that's one of the words. The maps are the key." I said looing up at everyone.

"How did you find it?" Anna asked Teresa.

"I took one map out of each section and stacked them up." Teresa replied.

"Okay, we just need to trace and stack all the maps and we have our way out." I said.

We all went back to work, after five hours we found three more words. The words were: Float, Catch, bleed and death. And we still weren't finished.

All of us jumped when the door suddenly opened revealing Thomas.

"What the shuck was that dude?!" Minho shouted.

"I missed you too Minho." Thomas replied sarcastically. "I had to remember." Thomas added this time seriously.

"Well, what did you remember?" Newt asked.

"The maze is a test, WICKED put us here to study our brain patterns. I remember, something happened, a virus I think, I'm not sure but they put us here to find a cure. Teresa and I used to work for them..." Thomas trailed off and looked down at the ground.

"Listen, it doesn't matter what you did before the maze, it doesn't matter what anyone did. What matters is what we do now." Newt said. "How about we finish this, since we only have a few maps left." Newt added.

We spent the rest of the day working and ended up finishing all of the maps; we found the code.

FLOAT

CATCH

BLEED

DEATH

STIFF

PUSH