Chapter 26: Who are they?

YN POV

"YN." I heard someone whisper, "YN wake up, we're almost there." The voice says. I groan and slowly open my eyes. "There we go, love." Newt says.

I get my head off of Newt's shoulder and look out of the window, it's pitch black outside, we must have been driving for hours.

"Are you alright, love?" Newt asked.

"Yeah. Sorry, I'm still a little bit tired." I reply. "How long have we been driving?" I asked.

"About 6 hours." Newt replied.

"Oh, did you get any sleep?" I asked.

"No, I couldn't fall asleep for some reason." He replied.

The bus came to a sudden stop and some of the people in uniform started running out of the vehicle.

"We have to go kids!" One of them shouted.

We all quickly stood up and made our way out of the bus, Newt grabbed my hand and we ran towards a massive building that the people were leading us to. I heard gun shots being fired and saw weird human-like figures chase after us.

We got to the open entrance of the metal building, once we all got inside the doors shut behind us with a loud bang.

One of the people who brought us here lead us into a room with a few beds and a table of food. The person soon left, leaving us by ourselves.

We all quickly took our seats around the table and started eating. Once we were done the door opened and at the other side stood a man in a black leather jacket.

"You kids doing alright?" He asked, "Sorry about all of the fuss we had ourselves a bit of a swarm." He said before anyone could answer his question.

"Who are you?" Thomas asked.

"I'm the reason you're still alive." The man answered. I didn't trust this guy, he wasn't giving us any actual answers. "Now come with me. We'll get you kids squared away."

He then walked out of the room, I looked up at Newt and realised he was already looking at me, he took my hand and we started walking after the man, everyone following behind us.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place." The man said. He was leading us through strange hallways, explaining everything to us. We soon came up to a door. "Beyond this door, lies the beginning of your new lives." Janson said, he swiped a card through a scanner and the door slid open. "First things first. Let's do something about that smell." He said.

He proceeded to lead us through a hallway, he led us to one of the doors and opened it. The room looked like a locker room, it had benches in the middle with names engraved onto each of the lockers, further down in the room were showers.

Janson left without saying a word, I walked up to the line of lockers trying to find my name.

YN

Was engraved into one of the lockers in bold letters. I opened the small door finding a change of clothes, a white towel and some hygiene products.

I took all of the things and went into one of the showers, in the cubical was a shelf on the wall, I put all of my things on the shelf and got undressed.

I turned the tap on expecting only cold water like in the glade, but I was pleasantly surprised when the water came out hot.

I took a very long shower for the first time in so long. I rid my hair of any dirt and it ended up looking a whole shade lighter than before. I scrubbed my skin until it hurt, ridding myself of all of the sweat and dirt that surrounded my skin, it ending up like my hair, a shade lighter than ever before.

I turned off the tap, dried off, put my new clothes on and brushed my hair- with an actual hairbrush this time. I finally left my shower and realised that everyone was waiting for me.

A woman came in through the door this time, "Come with me, it's time for your check up." She said. So we obligated and followed behind her, she led us to another room with doctors inside. Minho and Anna got put on a treadmill, Thomas and Fry went to get their blood tested and Teresa got put in a separate room sitting on a hospital bed. Newt and I were both taken to a woman with needles, vitamins I assume.

"W-what is it?" Newt asked his voice laced with worry. I then remembered that Newt was scared of needles (He had to leave the room once when Clint was about to inject someone with the grief serum).

"Vitamins." The woman replied getting a needle ready.

"Newt it's fine, nothing to be scared of." I said and took his hand.

"You two seem to care about each other a lot. Are you siblings?" The woman asked. Newt and I looked at each other and started laughing.

"Siblings? No, she's my wife." Newt replied chuckling.

"Oh." Was all the woman said, before either of us could say anything she injected the two of us with one syringe each.

We all finished our check-ups and the same woman brought us to a canteen filled with lots of other people our age.

"Looks like we weren't the only maze." Minho said.

Some of us then went and sat at one of the tables with two other boys already sitting there whilst others went to sit with other people.

"Hey, your the new maze aren't you?" One of the boys asked.

"Yeah we just came in a couple of hours ago." Minho replied.

"What type of maze were you in?" The second boy asked.

"What do you mean?" Fry asked.

"So like an all boys maze, or a mixed maze." The boy replied.

"Well we had 50 boys and 3 girls, so I assume an all boys one." Newt said.

"Speaking of, where's Teresa?" Thomas asked.

"I think she's still with the doctors." I replied.

"Oh right-" The first boy said, "-I'm Jack and that's Nathan." He finished.

"Well, I'm Newt, that's YN, that's Minho, Frypan, Thomas, Anna and Winston." Newt explained pointing at each one of us.

Nathan turned to me, "So YN, are you single?" He asked taking me by surprise. I saw Newt clench his jaw from the corner of my eye.

"No." I replied simply.

"Really? Which ones your boyfriend?" He asked, this guy was really pissing me off.

"Newt, well sort of." I said.

"What do you mean 'sort of'?" Nathan asked frowning.

"We're married." I explain and I saw Newt smirk.

The rest of dinner Nathan stayed silent as we all shared stories from our time in the maze.

Janson soon came to collect us and took us to our room. Inside were four bunk beds. We all took a bed, apart from Newt and I since we decided to share a bed instead. We all laid down in our new comfortable beds and the lights went out.