Chapter 39: Mountain people

YN POV

We drove in that car for hours on end, the never ending journey dragging on forever.

The car suddenly stopped and I sat up from having my head on Newt's chest.

"We can't drive any further, we have to walk the rest of the way." Jorge explained.

All of us got out of the car and I saw giant rocky mountains in front of me.

"Wow." I heard Thomas mutter.

"We have to walk, there should be a parking lot somewhere around here, lets head there first." Jorge said.

And we were on our way again, we walked through the last bit of the sand and Jorge led us around the mountains. We came across a giant cave with light filtering through it. We walked through the darkened cave and walked right into the old parking lot that Jorge was talking about earlier. There were railings at the edge of the road, since there was a large drop at the bottom. The whole parking lot was surrounded by mountains and rocks, there were about sixty abandoned cars there.

"I knew it was here." Jorge muttered.

We looked around for a couple of minutes when suddenly a loud bang echoed across the cave and a car window got shattered.

"Everybody hide! Hide!" Thomas yelled as more shots got fired through the air.

I ran with Newt and Emmy, we hid behind one of the rusty cars. Emmy was sat in between the two of us, lightly shaking from fear. Newt pulled both her and me into him.

"Daddy, I'm scared." She whispered sniffling.

"Don't worry, princess. I'll protect you." He whispered and pulled us closer.

"Drop it!" I heard a voice shout, the gunshots stopping.

"Come out and raise you're hands where I can see them." Another voice said.

Newt and I looked at each other, I nodded and him, Emmy and I got off of the ground and walked towards the voices.

Standing in front of us were two masked people, one had dark brown hair and brown eyes and the other had light blonde hair and brown eyes.

Everyone was soon standing with us, their arms raised just like ours.

"Aris?" One of the people asked, I turned my head to look at the boy as did everyone else. He stepped forward looking at the two people. The one with brown hair pulled her mask down revealing a girl with dark skin and soft features.

Aris looked at her with a shocked expression. The second person pulled the mask down revealing another girl, she was quite pale and she had tears in her eyes.

"Harriet! Sonya!" Aris exclaimed running up and hugging the two. They stood there for a minute, their arms around each other.

"So... is anyone gonna explain or?" Minho asked in his usual sassy tone.

"Oh right, these are my friends, they were in the maze with me." Aris explained. "This is Sonya-" He says pointing at the blonde, "-And this is Harriet." he finished pointing at the brunette.

"YOU CAN COME OUT!" Harriet yelled up into the sky, people with guns and gear appeared around the mountains edge.

"Who are your friends?" Sonya asked.

"They're the ones from group A." Aris said.

"You're the ones Teresa told us about." Harriet said.

"Wait you know Teresa?" Thomas asked.

"Yeah, tall, kind of annoying." Harriet replied, Thomas scrunched his face up, disagreeing with the statement.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"WICKED told us to come to the mountains. But when we got here The Right Arm took us in, they have a camping site about twenty miles away. They told us to come here and wait for any sign of other kids from WICKED." Sonya explained. "We can take you to them."

I looked up at Newt and noticed a frown on his face, his eyebrows scrunched up in thought.

"I guess we have no other choice. We either go back to WICKED or go with The Right Arm. I choose The Right Arm." Minho said, we all nodded in agreement.

"Great, lets go." Sonya said smiling.

They led us away from the mountains, there were a couple of cars on the sand.

"We can only have seven people per car, so you'll have to split into groups." Harriet explained. "Me, Sonya and Emma will drive." She added.

We split into groups of six (Since we needed one seat for the driver) I went with Newt, Emmy, Anna, Minho and Thomas. Whilst the other boys got into their own groups.

The six of us followed Sonya to a black car.

"I call shotgun." Thomas said.

We got into the car, Newt, Emmy and I behind Thomas and Sonya, and Minho and Anna at the back.

Sonya started the car and we all drove to The Right Arm. I looked at Newt, who was sitting next to me, and noticed that he was staring at the ground.

"You alright?" I asked, he looked at me with a weird look in his eyes.

"Y-yeah it's just..." he trailed off and got closer to me so that his lips were right next to my ear. "Sonya, if feels like I know her from somewhere." He whispered.

"Maybe you did, before the maze. Even though you don't remember, you're brain does." I explained in a whisper.

He sighed and kissed my cheek. He put his head on my shoulder, "Don't worry too much, it will come to you." I said and kissed his head.

"I mean, it feels really weird, like the first time I saw you, it felt like I knew you." He explained, he took his head off my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. "Of course, then it turned out we dated before the maze."

"We're here!" Sonya said loudly and parked the car. I looked outside of the window and saw a large campsite, there were many big tents there and lots of cars around. There was a bonfire in the middle of the camp.

We all got out of the car and Sonya led us to a man with shoulder length blonde hair.

"I'm Vince, welcome to your new home!" He cheered.