Chapter 38: The plan

YN POV

"Come on kids! Lets get going!" A loud voice woke me up. Jorge was standing in the middle of the room, trying to wake everyone up. "We need to discus our plan!"

I groaned and got up from the bed, which Newt was still laying in, asleep. How did he not wake up?

His back was facing me so I walked around the bed and was now standing face to face with him. I put my hand on his cheek and started gently stroking it, "Honey, wake up." I said. His eyes fluttered open and he looked at me.

"Morning, love." He said, his voice groggy.

"Morning, hun." I replied. "Come on, we have to talk to Jorge about the plan."

Newt finally got out of bed and helped me wake up Emmy. We quickly got ready and went to sit with everyone else around a big table Minho had found earlier this morning. I was sat next to Newt, Emmy in my lap drawing something on a piece of paper.

Jorge came into the room last with a big map in his hands. He sat down on one of the free chairs and looked up to us.

"So, as we all know, WICKED wants you to go to the mountains to get the cure. We worked out that most of you don't have the flare. This is because of your immunity. But the problem is; we don't know who has it and who doesn't. We have also learned that The Right Arm is also heading for the mountains. So, the question is, when we get to the mountains, do we go with WICKED and risk our lives to save some of you, or do we risk the lives of only a few people to save the rest?" Jorge explained.

I looked to the map on the table and noticed red circles around some areas. "What do the circles on the map mean?" I asked making everyone turn to me.

"Those are all of the WICKED compounds." Jorge replied. "I used to work for them." He added.

"How do we know you're not working with them anymore?" Minho asked.

"If I was still working for them, I wouldn't have just shown you all of their compounds." He replied. Minho nodded, still a bit suspicious.

"I have an idea." I said.

Jorge looked at me, asking me a silent question.

"We go with The Right Arm once we get to the mountains, and if anyone shows any symptoms of the flare we attack WICKED and get the cure." I said.

"Wow, Hermana, I underestimated you." Jorge said. "Everyone agree with her plan?"

There was a chorus of 'yes's' around the wooden table.

"Okay. Lets go to the mountains then." Brenda said with a smirk on her face.

We were packing our things again, getting ready for the long journey.

"You know love, you never fail to surprise me." Newt said from beside me.

"Why's that?" I asked turning to look at him.

"Because you're always the one to come up with the best solutions." He replied.

"Aww, Newt that's sweet." I said.

"Well it's true." He said.

"Don't flatter me too much cause I might grow a big ego like Minho." I said chuckling.

"Hey!" I heard Minho shout from the other side of the room.

"She's not wrong!" Newt yelled also laughing.

"Oh, shuck off!" Minho yelled.

"Minho! Language!" Newt shouted.

"Yeah Minho, for god's sake watch your language!" I yelled mimicking Newt, he looked at me with an offended face.

"Did you just mock me?" He asked acting serious.

"Yes I did." I replied with a smirk. He walked closer to me making me back up against the wall.

"That's not very nice is it, love?" He asked. He was now face to face with me, our faces inches from each other.

"What're you gonna do about it?" I asked.

He suddenly started tickling my sides making me hysterically laugh.

"Newt-" I was interrupted by my own laugh, "-please" another laughing break, "-stop." I said with tears in my eyes from all of the laughter.

"Say sorry." He said.

"I'm sorry that I mocked you." I said through laughter.

He stopped tickling me, I brushed the tears from my eyes still lightly laughing.

"That wasn't so hard, now was it?" He asked with a playful grin.

"oh, shut up." I said and pulled him into a kiss.

"lets go!" Jorge shouted, making the two of us pull away.

We all walked out of the building towards the car, the scorching sun already out in the sky. Emmy skipped by my side, holding my hand.

Everyone got in the car, Newt, Emmy and I at the back. I sat in the middle seat with Newt to my right and Emmy to my left. I fastened Emmy's seatbelt and kissed her cheek.

"You alright, hun?" I asked the little girl.

"Yes mummy!" She cheerfully replied, her head not looking away from the half finished drawing in her lap.

I smiled and looked back up.

"Are you ready, kids?!" Jorge asked from the front.

"Yeah!" We all replied. He pressed the gas and we were driving again.

We drove in silence for a while, I rested my head on Newt's shoulder and his arms were wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Newt, I'm scared." I said, quietly enough for only him to hear.

"Why are you scared, love?" He asked with concern.

"I'm scared that one of us has the flare." I replied with tears starting to gather in my eyes at the thought of Newt dying.

"Hey, don't think like that, if either of us get the flare, we're gonna get the cure." He reassured kissing the top of my head.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"Hey, don't be sorry, darling. Everyone's scared, but we need to keep fighting." He said, I nodded and looked up to meet his eyes. He smiled at me and kissed my lips. We pulled away after a while and I laid my head on his chest, he stroked my head and the two of us just peacefully sat there in each others arms. There's a long way to go but with Newt by my side I could do anything.