Chapter 23: The cliff

YN POV

I woke up as usual, but something was different, the sun, in fact that was the problem; there was no sun, the usual light blue sky was now a light grey colour. The girl was right, things are changing.

"Newt." I said lightly shaking the sleeping boy next to me, "Newt, wake up something's wrong." I added. His eyes fluttered open and he looked around the room.

"YN, why are you awake? The sun's not even out yet." Newt said groggily.

"That's the problem, look at the time." I replied, so he moved his right wrist up towards his eyes to check the time displayed on his watch.

"Newt, it's 7 am. The sun should be out." I said. We both got out of bed, quickly got dressed and then went outside.

Most people were already awake looking around in a panic, but the grey sky wasn't the only shocking thing. Alby. He was awake and walking around as if nothing had happened.

"Alby?" Newt said in disbelief as we came up to our leader. "What are you doing up?" Newt asked.

"Newt, now's not the time. The sky's gone grey and the box hasn't come up with any supplies." Alby said.

"What do we do?" I asked.

"For now just try and keep everyone calm. And go check on Minho and Thomas, they're about to head out." Alby said.

So Newt and I walked towards the west doors, where Minho, Thomas and Anna were all standing.

"Guys be carful today, the sky's changed that means the maze could too." Newt said once we came up to the three of them.

"We'll try, bye guys." Minho replied, and with that the two boys ran into the maze corridor.

Newt and I spent hours just walking around the glade trying to keep everyone calm, when suddenly Minho and Thomas ran out of the west doors; they weren't supposed to be back yet. So we both ran towards the two boys.

"What happened?" Newt asked.

"We think we found a way out. The cliff, there's this passage way there; that's where the grieves go during the day." Minho explained.

"There's one problem though, the maze, the maze is a code." Thomas added.

"What do you m-" I was cut off by Jeff,

"YN, NEWT!" Jeff yelled whilst running towards us.

"Jeff, what's wrong?" I asked.

"It's the girl, she ran away." He replied.

"How?" Newt asked.

"She woke up, attacked us and then ran out." He replied.

"Okay." Newt said, "EVERYONE, COME HERE!" He yelled.

After a while everyone gathered around us.

"The girl ran off and we need to find her. We need to split into four groups and look for her." Newt said loudly so everyone could hear.

"Frypan you take group 1 and search the gardens." Alby said and pointed at one section of the circle around us, "I am taking group 2 to the homestead." Alby added pointing at another part, "Newt, you take group 3 to the deadheads." He said pointing at the part of the circle where me and my friends were standing, "And Jeff, you take group 4 and look anywhere I haven't mentioned." Alby finished pointing at the last group of people. "OKAY GO!" Alby shouted.

Newt, Minho, Anna, Thomas, Chuck and I all went to the deadheads. We all walked around the thick trees for a long time, we ended up splitting into pairs, when I heard Thomas shout something.

"NEWT! I found her!" Thomas yelled, Newt and I quickly ran towards the shouts when we finally found Chuck, Thomas and the girl.

"Come on guys we have to go back and tell everyone we found her." Newt said.

"I'm not going anywhere." She replied sternly.

"Hey, we're not going to hurt you, we just need to head back now." I said calmly.

"Who are you people?" She asked.

"I'm YN, that's Newt, that's Chuck and that's Thomas." I replied.

"T-Thomas?" She asked.

"Yeah, you're Teresa aren't you?" Thomas asked, to which the girl replied with a nod.

"So he's not crazy." Newt whispered into my ear making me chuckle.

"Come on then, lets get back." I said.

So we all went back into the middle of the glade and told everyone to stop looking since we found her. Alby then order for two boys to put her in the slammer so she wouldn't run away again.

I looked at the watch on my wrist and looked up at Newt, "Newt, the doors not closing." I said, he looked at his watch and then at the door.

"Oh shit. We have to tell Alby." Newt replied.

"Alby!" I yelled to the leader who was talking to Minho. We both ran up to them. "Alby, the doors not closing." I said.

Before he could reply someone started screaming about how the doors should be closed by now which caused everyone to start panicking.

"EVERYONE CALM DOWN!" Alby yelled which made everyone stop what they were doing. "BUILDERS, YOU BARICADE THE DOORS THE REST OF YOU GO TO THE HOMESTEAD" He yelled.

So as most people ran to the homestead some stayed and built barricades for the doors. It was getting really late now, when I heard a screech from the maze doors.

"EVERYONE TO THE HOMESTEAD! NOW!" Alby yelled.

Newt and I both sprinted into the homestead and saw most people already there. We ran up to our room and Thomas, Minho, Chuck and Anna were already in there.

"There you guys are, we were worried." Minho said.

Before I had the chance to reply we heard another griever screech, this time from inside of the glade. Newt and I both sat down and everyone stayed quiet.

All of the sudden someone ran into the room and the door banged against the wall loudly, we all looked up at the figure and noticed it was Gally.

"Gally, be quiet you're going to attract the grievers." Minho whisper-yelled.

Gally ignored the boy and walked right up to the window, he then started breaking off the wood that was barricading it.

"Gally, what are you-" Newt stood up, but before he could finish his sentence Gally hit him with the wooden plank. Newt fell to the ground with a loud thump whilst blood dripped down his forehead.

I quickly got up and ran towards him, he was knocked down on the ground, lots of blood still dripping down his face. I took of my jacket and put it on top of his wound putting pressure on it. I then moved his head so it laid in my lap whilst still holding the jacket to his forehead.

"Newt, wake up. Newt" I said whilst gently shaking him, I could hear fighting behind me but at this point that didn't matter, what mattered was Newt.

I looked up and noticed that a griever has put one of its mechanical legs through the gap of the window. I got up and dragged Newt as far away from the window as I could.

"They're gonna come back and take 1 person every night, until we're all gone!" Gally shouted and suddenly the griever broke through the window and pulled Gally away with it, into the maze. I then noticed that all of the grievers had followed the one with Gally into the maze.