Chapter 25: The way out

YN POV

Today was the day. We were leaving the glade.

We spent all day yesterday looking for the code in the maps, and we succeeded. Of course the grievers came back last night, they took another boy, Dave. But this is the end of it all, we either survive or die trying.

At 7 am, Alby gave us an hour to pack some of our things and take weapons. Since we had runner backpacks each keeper would get one to carry, this including me Newt and Alby, since there weren't enough to give to everyone.

Newt and I were in our room packing some weapons when Newt pulled on my hand, so I looked up at him. He had a sad smile on his face. I moved and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"What's wrong, hun?" I asked.

"It's just, I don't wanna loose you. And I'm scared that if we go out there today I might." He said putting his head into the crook of my neck.

"Hey, it's alright, we're gonna be okay." I reassured him, he just nodded and we continued to hug for a while.

Both of our watches went off at the same time signalising that we have to meet everyone at the doors. "Come on it's time to go." I said pulling away from his warm embrace.

We went outside to the west doors and waited for everyone to get there.

"OKAY PEOPLE, THE PLAN IS SIMPLE. WE FOLLOW THOMAS AND MINHO TO THE CLIFF; WHICH IS OUR WAY OUT!" Alby shouted so that everyone could hear, "NOW REMEMBER, NO ONE IS MAKING YOU COME, IF ANYONE WANTS TO STAY HERE NOW IS THE TIME TO LEAVE!" He added. "Minho want to add anything?" Alby asked turning to the boy standing next to him.

"Be carful don't die!" Minho said.

"Great we're all bloody inspired." Newt said making us laugh.

"LEAD THE WAY BOYS!" Alby shouted.

And with that we all ran into the maze.

-----TIME SKIP-----

We've been running for 4 hours now, most people are starting to slow down their pace not used to the severe amount of running.

Minho and Thomas suddenly stopped at corner of a wall, right before another turn. We all stopped behind them and Newt, Alby and I walked towards the two boys at the front.

"What's going on? Why did you stop?" I asked.

"We're almost there. But there's one problem." Minho said.

"The grievers. There's tons of them." Thomas added.

Everyone froze in shock.

"I think they're waiting for us." Minho said.

Without saying anything Alby turned the corner, stopped in his tracks and turned to us. "I have to do this. Gally said that they'll only take one. I have to try." He said and before we could answer he sprinted down the corridor and right towards the grievers. One of the griever took out its metal claw and impaled Alby, it then threw Alby off of the cliff.

I could practically hear Newt's heart shatter, his best friend just got killed.

Thomas sighed, "We have to go." He said.

"Yeah, come one." Minho said.

But before he could leave Newt suddenly started shouting, "How can you be so heartless!?" He yelled, "Alby was your friend!" He yelled again.

"Newt, calm down. I know Alby was your friend and because of that we can't let him die in vain, we have to go and be grateful that he sacrificed himself for us." I said. Newt visibly calmed down after listening to me.