Chapter 20: Stuck

YN POV

We were in the gardens, as usual, Newt and I were trying to cut down a tree whilst Thomas and Chuck were sat against a log.

"Alright, but why would Alby go in the maze?" Thomas asked. "I mean, he's not a- he's not a runner." He added.

"Things are different now." Newt replied. "Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look are you gonna help?" He asked.

"Okay, so he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" Thomas asked.

"Alby knows what he's doing, alright? He knows better than any of us." Newt replied.

"What does that mean?" Thomas asked again.

"Alright, it's like you've heard, yeah? Every month, the box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the glade alone. And that was Alby. I mean, it can't have been easy. But when everyone else started coming up, first in pairs and then one after the other, he saw the truth. and he learnt that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together." Newt explained. Thomas sighed getting up, he then crouched down and started helping us cut the tree.

"There you go greenie, wasn't that hard was it?" Newt asked making me laugh.

All of the sudden we heard a growl, it sounded like thunder, but the scary thing was; it NEVER rained in the glade. Then out of no where it started pouring it down with rain. We all ran to the homestead to hide from the sudden weather change.

"That's weird." I said.

"What? Why?" Thomas asked.

"It never rains in the glade." I replied.

"What?" He asked.

"What she said. It has never, in the whole 2 years of us being here, rained, the weather always stayed the same." Newt replied.

We stayed there for about half an hour when something suddenly occurred to me,

"They should be back by now." I said looking up at Newt.

"What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked.

"They're gonna make it." Newt replied.

"And what happens if they don't?" Thomas asked.

"They're gonna make it." Newt replied.

We stayed under the shelter for a while longer until the rain stopped, when it did we all came out and went to stand outside the maze doors.

"Come on guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked.

"We can't, it's against the rules, we can't risk losing anyone else." I replied.

A shiver ran up my spine when I heard the gears of the maze doors turning, the doors were closing.

"Oh no." Chuck said beside me, I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"There." Thomas said pointing into the corridor, I turned to look and saw two people there, the problem was that one of them, Minho, was carrying the other, Alby, he was hurt.

The boys then started cheering Minho on, to walk faster, to do anything that would help him get here before the doors close.

The doors were about 10 feet away from closing when Minho suddenly dropped Alby, he gave up on carrying him and started dragging him towards the closing doors.

"They're not gonna make it." Newt muttered. "Don't do it, Tommy! Don't you bloody do it!" Newt shouted, but before I got the chance to ask what he was talking about Thomas suddenly ran forward and through the maze doors, squeezing in between the gap. Before the maze doors closed completely for the night, I saw that Thomas made it to the end of the doors.

Everything went silent, the only thing that I could hear was my heart beating in my ear. I then realised that Newt, who was standing next to me, stopped breathing.

"Okay, everyone go to bed!" I yelled and as soon as I did everyone walked away, I saw Frypan walking away with Anna trying to comfort her. I then turned to Newt, he was now hyperventilating, he was having a panic attack; he hasn't had one in almost 9 months.

"Hey, hey, Newt look at me, they're gonna be okay." I said. "Newt, please just breathe, come on." I said, Newt looked at me with fear in his eyes.

"I-I can't." He wheezed out. So I did the same thing as when George died, I grabbed his cheeks and kissed him.

I kissed him for a couple of seconds, when I pulled away he took a deep breath in. After a while his breathing pattern returned to normal.

"Come on, lets sit down for a second." I said, he just nodded and the two of us sat down against the stone walls.

Newt laid down facing he sky and put his head in my lap, I started stroking his hair.

"I just lost my best friend." Newt said with tears in his eyes.

"Hey, don't say that, Minho is strong, he'll get through this, or at least try his hardest to." I said. "We just have to wait and see." I said.

"Can we stay here?" Newt asked looking me in the eye.

"Of course." I replied.

I woke up to someone talking, "Newt, YN, get up the doors going to open in a minute." The voice said. I opened my eyes and saw Chuck, Frypan and Anna looking at me. I was still siting against the stone wall and Newt was still laying in my lap.

"Newt, get up." I said shacking him a bit. His eyes fluttered open and he sat up.

"You alright?" Frypan asked.

"Just dandy, my best friend might be dead, isn't that a fun thing to wake up to." Newt replied.

"Don't be rude." I scolded him.

"Sorry." Newt replied.

"Don't worry about it, now get up before the two of you fall backwards when the door opens." Frypan said.

"Right." I said. Newt and I both then got up and as soon as we did the doors started making rumbling sounds, telling us that it was opening.

It felt like forever; watching the doors open. But when we looked inside, nothing. So I sighed, turned to Newt and hugged him.

"I never got to tell him that I love him." Anna said. I turned to her and brought her into the hug as well.

"Yeah!" Chuck suddenly shouted.

The three of us pulled away from the hug and looked into the maze. There we saw Thomas and Minho carrying an unconscious Alby. They walked through the entrance where they all fell to the ground.

"You saw a griever?" Chuck asked the boys.

"Yeah I saw one." Thomas replied.

"He didn't just see it, he killed it." Minho added.