Chapter 19:All my friends are dead

YN POV

Newt, Thomas and I were working in the gardens, Thomas was trying out for his first job in the glade and Newt and I were here since Alby sent us to make sure Thomas doesn't get into trouble.

"Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?" Thomas asked.

"Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top, and besides where are you gonna go from there?" Newt replied.

"Yeah, well, what about the box? You know next time it comes up, you just jump- " He was cut off by Newt.

"No we tried that. The box won't go back down with someone in it." Newt said.

"Well, what if we-" He was cut off again, this time by me.

"No we tried it, alright? Twice, alright? Trust me anything that you think of, we've already tried. The only way out of here is through the maze. Now look, you wanna be helpful? Here-" I said a threw a wooden bucket at Thomas,"-go dig us up some more fertiliser." I added.

So Thomas took the bucket and a shovel and headed towards the deadheads, of course on the way there he tripped over a stick.

"Thanks." Newt said.

"No worries, I could tell he was annoying you." I replied.

"He was, greenies and their questions." Newt said chuckling.

"Just me or does Thomas ask more questions than any greenie before?" I asked.

"I know, I swear if he asks me one more question I'll take that shovel and shove it up his a-" He was suddenly cut off by yelling.

"HEY! HELP!" I heard Thomas scream, he ran out from the trees, I wasn't sure what was wrong with him, until I realised that someone was chasing him. Ben.

"HELP! HELP!" He yelled. "HELP!" We all started running towards Thomas, when Ben suddenly jumped and grabbed onto his legs making Thomas fall onto his face.

We continued running towards the two boys when Ben suddenly yelled, "I'LL KILL YOU!"

"HEY!" Newt shouted, making Ben look up at him, as he did Newt hit him across the face with a shovel, Ben fell onto the ground next to Thomas and started trying to get back up. "Hold him down!" Newt yelled whilst holding Ben's shoulder. I grabbed onto Ben's legs so he wouldn't try and run away.

"Calm down." Gally said.

"What are you doing?" Newt added.

"Calm down, Ben." Gally said.

"Yo, what the hell happened?" Frypan asked.

"He just attacked me." Thomas replied whilst trying to get his breath back.

"You okay?" Chuck asked to which Thomas replied with a nod.

"Calm down, Ben." Gally said to the boy. Alby pushed through the crowed to see what was going on, when Ben saw him he suddenly started breathing heavily.

"No. No. No." He chanted.

"Lift his shirt." Alby commanded.

"I didn't mean it!" Ben shouted frantically.

"Lift his shirt." Alby said again.

"No, no, please. Please." Gally slowly pulled his shirt up, Ben had a hole on his stomach that looked as if he's been stabbed, around the wound were hundreds of dark blue and red veins.

"He's been stung." Gally said. "In the middle of the day?" Gally asked looking up at me then Newt and then Alby.

"Help me, please." Ben said in almost a whisper. "Please, please just help me." He added a bit louder.

"Put him in the pit." Alby said.

"No! No!" Ben started shouting and struggling.

"Medjacks!" Newt shouted loud enough for everyone to hear.

Ben kept shouting whilst a group of boys picked him up and carried him to the slammer.

After that Newt and I went to sit down against a log whilst Alby, Thomas and Chuck went to the homestead to talk.

"What do you think's gonna happen to him?" I asked Newt.

"I don't know, but since he attacked Thomas he's probably going to get banished." Newt replied.

"Oh." I said looking at the ground, deep down I knew this was going to happened but having someone else say it brought a whole new perspective on the matter.

"Hey, it's okay." Newt said putting his arm around me, I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"I know, it's just, he's my friend." I said.

"No YN, Ben was your friend and the person who attacked Thomas was not Ben." Newt said and kissed the top of my head.

We stayed like this for a while until Alby called us to the west doors. Turns out Newt was right, Ben was getting banished.

"Minho, go get Ben. Newt, go get the poles." Alby said.

So the boys did as he said, Newt came back first and handed all of the keepers, Alby and me a pole each. Second came Minho, holding Ben by the shirt whilst Ben grunted in an animalistic way. Minho then cut the ropes around Ben's wrists and pushed him into the circle.

"No, no, please don't, just listen to me, it's his fault. It's his fault!" Ben said coughing up black liquid between each word.

Minho then looked at Alby for reassurance, Alby nodded so Minho threw the bag into the maze. As soon as he did the maze started rumbling signifying the maze closing for the night.

"Poles!" Alby shouted. So we all pointed our poles at Ben.

"No. No. No." Ben kept repeating he then got up on his feat and started growling like a mad animal.

"Move in." Alby said. So we all moved closer to Ben forcing him to walk backwards and into the maze.

"No. Pleas. Please. Please don't!" Ben yelled trying to move out of the way, he ended up just walking backwards. Ben kept shouting and we kept pushing him in, Ben ended up in the maze, at the other side of the doors. "NO!" Was the last thing I heard him shout before the maze doors closed completely.

We all just stood the for a couple of minutes, most people left. Alby, Minho, Anna, Frypan, Newt and I stayed.

Newt then wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into him, I rested my cheek on his shoulder. "You okay?" Newt asked.

"Yeah." I replied with a sigh.

Minho suddenly came and joined our hug, hugging both me and Newt. Then Anna joined, and then Frypan and lastly Alby joined our group hug.

"And then there were 5." Alby said with a sigh.

"You guys are the most annoying but also the best people I know. I love all of you." I said.

"Me too, I have only met you guys 2 months ago, but you're all like a family to me." Anna said and I heard her sniffling, she was crying, but so was I and everyone else.

We all just stood there, hugging and crying.

"Now, if anyone of you shanks tells someone that you saw me crying I will rip your heads off." Minho said making all of us chuckle, I'm still grateful for Minho and his ability to make jokes at times like this.