Chapter 37: It's a car?

YN POV

Next thing I know, we were standing outside of a building in front of a car (AN: Lets just say that the car can fit everyone).

"Bertha is a car?" Minho asked.

"Obviously." Jorge replied. "Now, since we have Thomas and Brenda lets go."

The car wasn't exactly a car, it was more like a mini bus, there were 30 seats there. The seats were in rows, two seats at the front and then 3 normal car seats in each row.

Jorge and Brenda were sat at the front. Emmy was sat in the row in front of Newt and I, leaving us alone. I was sat next to the window and Newt was sat in the middle seat next to me.

"You alright, hun?" I asked him.

"Yeah, just tired." He replied and as if on queue he yawned.

"You can lay your head in my lap if you want." I said, he nodded and moved so that he was laid across the seats with his head on my lap.

"Thank you." He said. I didn't reply, I just started stroking his hair. I then bent down to my bag and dug through it, I found a blanket and put it on top of Newt.

"Night, Newt." I said and leaned over kissing his forehead.

"Night." He replied, his voice barely audible. His eyes closed and his breaths became more calm. I leaned my head on the car window and carried on stroking Newt's hair. And before I realised, I was asleep.

I was woken up by voices, I opened my eyes and noticed that I wasn't in the car anymore.

"Look who's awake." I heard Newt say above me. I was sat sideways in his lap, he was hugging me closely to his chest. We were sat on a red couch in a dimly lit room.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"We had to stop for the night so that Jorge could rest from driving. We're in some old building." He explained.

"Oh. What time is it?" I asked.

Newt glanced at his watch and then looked back at me, "6 pm."

"Okay." I said, still half asleep.

"Mummy! Daddy!" Emmy shouted excitedly as she ran up to us.

"What's up, princess?" Newt asked.

"Look what I drew!" She exclaimed, holding up a piece of paper. On the piece of paper was a drawing, there were three people, one person labelled 'mummy' one labelled 'daddy' and one labelled 'me'

"Wow, hun, it's amazing." I said enthusiastically, smiling at her excitement.

"Well done, princess." Newt said with the same smile plastered on his face.

"Thank you!" She smiled.

"YN, Newt! Get over here! Jorge is gonna tell us what it was like before the scorch!" Minho shouted

I got off of Newt's lap and he stood up after me, he picked Emmy up, resting her on his hip and we walked over to everyone. We sat against a wall, Emmy in Newt's lap.

"They were wonderful days. There were rivers, lakes and seas." Jorge started.

For the next hour he told us about everything he remembered from those days, when times were simpler. He told us about all of the amazing places he'd been to and all the animals that he'd seen.

"It's your turn now kids, tell us about the maze." Jorge said.

"Well, we came up in a dark lift-like box, when we got out we were surrounded by four giant walls, there were some buildings there too, they were already there when we got there, we think WICKED made them. We had a system, a set of rules we had to follow that our leader Alby established along with the keepers." Minho started.

"What the hell are keepers?" Brenda asked.

"We had jobs, everyone had one, and a keeper was basically the boss of each job, he had to be the best at it. I came up first along with Gally, Alby and George. Then after a month Newt and YN came up. That's when we noticed a pattern, a person would come up every month, like clock work. We had Alby as our leader and Newt and YN were both second in command. After YN and Newt got there the strange stone walls opened revealing a long stone corridor, that's when the runners come in, the runners were the fastest and the strongest out of everyone, they had to be, they had to run the maze 6 hours a day. I was the keeper of the runners, Newt, YN and I were the first runners and after some other boys came, there were more." Minho explained.

"How long did it take you to escape?" Jorge asked.

"Three years." Newt replied.

"And how long have you been in the scorch?" He asked.

"About a week and three days." Newt replied.

"Wait, isn't Emmy 4?" Jorge asked looking at the girl that was sleeping in Newt's lap.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Does that mean you had her before you got put in the maze?" He asked.

"Wha-oh." I said as the realization hit me, Newt chuckled from beside me after noticing my expression.

"Wait, how old do you think we are?" Newt asked.

"Like 17." Jorge replied.

"So you think we had a child at 13?" Newt asked.

"Hey, I'm not judging, hermano." Jorge said, everyone was laughing at this point apart from Jorge and Brenda.

"Why's everyone laughing?" Brenda asked.

"Because, they're not Emmy's parents. We found her in the scorch and she became the closest with the two of them so she just treats them like parents." Minho explained.

"Oh, shit, sorry." Brenda said.

"It's alright, you didn't know. Plus it's funny." I said.

We carried on talking for a couple more hours, when Minho decided that we should all go to sleep.

Since there were enough beds and couches for everyone, we all went to bed. There was a double bed in the corner and a single bed not to far from it. So Newt gave me Emmy to hold, as he pushed the single bed so that it was closer to the double one, so Emmy wouldn't get scared if she has a nightmare.

I laid her down on the bed and tucked her in with a blanket, I kissed her forehead and went to lay on the other bed. Newt soon joined me and put a blanket on top of the two of us.

I laid my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Night, I love you." He said and kissed my head.

"Night, I love you too." I replied, moving my head up and kissing his lips.

And like we always do, we fell asleep in each others arms.