FIFTEEN

"Urgh! I can't do this!" I threw my hands in the air and slammed them down onto the floor to only plant my face in them.

Rya looked up from her bed to witness me sitting on her bedroom floor trying to make sense of what the hell Mitosis was.

"Do what?" she cocked her head to the side as she shut her Spanish textbook. Whatever possessed me to take up Rya's offer to study at her house must have been on crack because so far, I have only read one page of the stupid textbook she gave me and doodled a nice picture of a snowman eating its own nose inside the diagram of the heart.

"This." I gestured down to the book. "It's all so..."

"Boring?"

"Complicated." I huffed and rubbed my face with my hands. "Why can't they just give you an easy step-by-step guide to things? Or at least make it a fun story."

"Because it's a textbook and not a best-selling YA novel?" Rya climbed off of her bed and to where I was sitting. "What's that?" she pointed to my doodle inside the heart.

"A snowman eating its own nose."

"Nice."

I groaned and hit the book. Stupid book. Who made textbooks anyways? They needed to go to prison or something for the leaching of my happiness.

"Are you and Roman seriously finished?" Rya then asked with a sympathetic look.

I rolled my eyes, "You say that as if we were in a relationship."

"You kind of were." I gave her an 'are you kidding?' glare and she raised her hands in defence. "I mean in a student-teacher-for-both-of-us-friends-with-benefits kind of way."

I chuckled and let out a long breath, "Please. Roman and I were never friends." Were we friends? Did he consider us friends? You did spend a lot of time with him.

"You spent a lot of time with each other." Rya said my exact thoughts. "And you both saw each other in somewhat personal ways." Yeah, you gave him a hand-job and he saw you naked. Very personal. "Look, all I'm saying is maybe you should find Roman and talk things out. You obviously need him."

"I do not need him!" I protested.

"Okay!" she held her hands up in defence again. "But how are you going to get your grades up?" good question. How was I going to get my grades up? Textbooks were confusing, tutoring evidently didn't work, and everything was always so boring.

"Maybe I should just drop out of school and become a stripper?" I suggested but Rya gave me a look knowing that I wouldn't have the balls to. "What?! I'd be a good one!"

"You can barely touch your toes, how are you going to perform the splits on a pole?" another good point.

"I can learn how to perform the splits on a pole." I argued.

"You can also learn how Mitosis works." She pointed to the textbook. I groaned for the hundredth time. Why did she always have to be right?

❦❤︎❦

Sitting in class once again, I wondered how long it would be until the end of the lesson or how long I could take before I threw myself out of a window. I swear Mademoiselle Blanchet had a vendetta against me. The woman would give me evil glares throughout the lesson. She was the reason I always acted up. The constant patronising, side comments, and unfair ways of picking on people to answer questions was so irritating I had to fight back.