FORTY SIX

❤︎^ 𝑠𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑛𝑎'𝑠 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘
___________________________________

I was nervous.

  I would never consider myself a regularly nervous person but tonight, I was bursting at the seams with anxiousness. I held my breath as I rubbed my hands down my silk dress and checked myself in the rear-view mirror once more. I looked great. In fact, I looked hot. I spent ages getting ready to make sure I looked as amazing as I could be – you see, I still had an image to keep up. Yet, everything felt wrong as I sat alone in my car, listening to the music pumping inside the Gym.

  It was only a matter of time before my fashionable late turned to pure lateness and everyone would start assuming I was too scared to come. So, putting on a front, collecting my thoughts, pushing aside any nervousness residing in my gut, I sighed and got out of the car.

  I had to give it to the Dance Committee, they really did up the school. Fairy lights twinkling on the ceiling of the halls and fake flowers and leaves stuck onto the lockers giving it a garden maze effect. I trekked my way to the Gymnasium, an archway of flowers standing where the door was, balloons in pastel shades of pink, yellow and blue lining the little walkway before reaching the main hall.

  It really screamed 'Spring Fling' to say the least. The same twinkling fairy lights in the halls were used the same on the ceiling, glimmering in shades of sunlight yellow and fluorescent pink, bouquets of pastel balloons stood around the corners of the room, flower petals were scattered across the tables, the DJ booth was lined with fake flowers along with stage and the punch and snack stands. They really went all out.

  I studied the dozens of students out dancing in the middle of the floor, jumping up and down to the upbeat music blaring through the speakers. Rya made the right choice in letting Abigail Coalson DJ instead of Jensen Mardove. The music was so much better, and everybody seemed to be loving it.

  As I examined all the students, I spotted Rya laughing with Taylor in the middle of the dance floor. The two seemed to be beaming at one another as they talked and danced at the same time and, I had to admit it, they did look cute together. Like some model couple out of Vogue.

  A chuckle left my lips as I averted my gaze and it flickered across to the photo booth. The background was a wall of fake flowers lined with balloons and a long line of couples waited for their turn. Adam and Leah were in the middle of taking their pictures as the photographer clicked the camera. Adam's hands around her waist, her kissing his cheek. I watched as he chuckled and captured in his arm, dipping her and kissing her passionately. They both were beaming with happiness as the picture snapped and they continued smiling, holding hands as they walked away to look at the pictures.

  Leah wore a high-low, strapless dress. White, with huge, gorgeous yellow flowers on making the dress seem predominantly yellow. It was pretty cute and suited her style. Her hair was tied up into a messy bun at the top of her head and I caught the small daisy earring posing as her only jewellery for the night. She smiled happily at the pictures and kissed Adam on the cheek. Adam wore his classic black on black suit that gave him the mysterious, hot look as always. He looped his arm over her shoulders and thanked the photographer before heading to the dance floor, her gold heels glinting in the fluorescent lights. I hated to admit it, but they looked adorable together and Leah did look stunning. I hated it. Knowing the type of person she was, the way she deceived everyone, it added a bitter taste to the sugary sweet cuteness.

  I collected myself once more and rolled my eyes turning on my heel to look away. Yet, as I did, there he was.

  By the punch bowl, talking to her, laughing together. Emily looked beautiful, her platinum blonde hair hung down in waves, the lilac dress flowed gracefully down her body in a halter top style, and her eyes glinted as she looked at him.