FORTY ONE

One week. One week. It's been one week, and it's all been for him.

It wasn't like Roman has had zero contact with me. A few hours after he dropped me back home, I had to text him. I didn't expect a response and I didn't need one, knowing that he read it was all that mattered. 'I'm here, please don't forget that'. That was what it said and with all my heart I meant it.

I got what he meant when he mentioned Adam. That was what he did, whenever he was going through something he'd shut me out. In a sense, I couldn't blame him for doing so; Adam had a lot of demons following him, demons that'd creep up and snatch him away, but he had a habit of shutting people out. Days and nights I'd sit by my phone waiting for him to call, text, anything, and I'd get nothing. It could go on for weeks and I'd drive myself insane.

To think that Roman could do the same was terrifying. I used to believe that that was how boys dealt with things. They'd ignore you like you were jackshit and then bounce back like everything was fine. But that was how Adam dealt with it, and Adam didn't equal the entire male population. It was crazy how one experience with a boy could really fuck up your impression of all boys, I knew not all boys acted like that, but it was enough, and Adam was a part of the 'enough'.

Roman gave me a new light of 'time'. He didn't speak to me for the first three days. In fact, he wasn't in school. I assumed he was by Skye's bedside day and night, and I had a feeling his parents talked to the school because he didn't need me to pick up any work. I was lucky I became busy. Rya and I were setting up my Prom Queen campaign and some of the last basketball games were coming up, meaning cheer practice was at an all time high.

On the fourth day, I got a text. 'What book are you reading?'. Did it feel like Christmas? Yes. Did I reply instantly? Abso-freaking-lutely. 'Little Women, museum addition' I knew he'd laugh at the 'museum addition' because I did too.

'Tell me about it.'

I spent the whole night telling him about the book. He replied only a few times, but I enjoyed typing out my own summaries and opinions for him to read.

On the fifth day, he did a similar thing. 'What's your favourite book?'

I smiled and instantly replied, 'Emma, Jane Austen'.

'Tell me about it.'

I got curious this time and had to ask, 'Why? Are you okay?' it was the weekend and I wondered whether he was at home or was still with Skye. I wondered if she was awake yet.

'At boxing, Jesse is kicking my ass. Need a distraction.'

He was boxing. Something about that made me happy inside because it meant that he wasn't cooped up at home or worrying over Skye, he was in his own space to clear his head and I was glad he had Jesse's company. The two didn't hang out that much but I was sure just his company made Roman forget about things for a while.

I told him about the book, all my favourite parts and characters, how I related to Emma in so many ways. Again, he didn't respond many times, but I knew he was listening. Listening was enough.

Sixth day. 'Skye's awake'. That was all I got. Yet, that was all I needed. I didn't pry, I didn't want to. I just sat with that piece of information happily until we got to now. The seventh day.

"You know, I love being smart." Rya sighed happily as she leant against the locker next to mine as I collected my books.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes, "Really? Couldn't tell." The sarcasm dripped off my tongue.