FORTY FOUR

My head, understandably, was completely scrambled for the next week. I managed to talk to Mr Wright the day after Roman spilled the news and he explained all the logistics. I knew I'd have to work hard, someone didn't just get a scholarship, especially to a school that was as selective as UNC Chapel Hill, but, hey, at least it wasn't Harvard. I still had a chance.

  My study routine became hectic to say the least. Some night, my mom would have to pry me off of my desk to have dinner, other nights, I'd collapse from stress as soon as I walked in the door. I was pushing myself. Pushing myself to limits I never knew I could reach but I would do anything to secure me this scholarship.

  My parents were thrilled when I told them, both, unsurprisingly, had absolutely no doubt I'd get it, but they didn't know the full extent of my failings beforehand, and I knew I'd have to step it up big time. Yet, in a sense, there was a massive plus side because this whole situation totally eliminated the awkwardness between Roman and I since we were so busy trying to get my grades up. Nearly everyday after school he was round mine or I was round his, pulling almost all-nighter study sessions, completing extra homework tasks, essay, even taking notes whilst watching documentaries till 3am. Usually, he'd fall asleep but not me. Nope. I was running off cups of coffee and packs of Cheetos he hit under his bed. Most of the time, I'd have to untangle myself from his arms wrapped around my body by the time I'd have to leave.

  It hurt to leave. I'd be stupid saying it didn't, but I had priorities now, the main one being this scholarship and so I took all my time and attention off of whatever was going between Roman and I and shoved it onto getting this scholarship. Besides, after the Spring Fling, I decided that Roman and I would be done. No deal. He'd have Emily, and I would have enough material and motivation to try for this scholarship, especially with the help of Mr Wright and my parents. Whatever we had, it was going to be over, and I tried not to think about the hard part of saying goodbye.

   "Thanks again for bringing me, I can't believe you got them to let me out." Skye beamed next to me as we parked up at the dress boutique. Belle's Boutique was the usual dress shop everyone went to in town, and since the Spring Fling was days away, it was probably thriving off customers.

  It was a Saturday and, for what I could see, it wasn't that busy. People usually went after school to go dress shopping with their friends, so I wasn't surprised when we walked in to see the place nearly empty.

   "Woah." Skye gasped as we stepped inside. I could see what she meant. It had been a while since I came here last, and when I did, I was the one dress shopping. Now I was the one helping.

  It took a lot of negotiating with the hospital to get Skye out. Luckily, I had her parents on my side and since she was now off the tubes and back in her room, she was almost back to normal. Almost, I was still worried about her new developed anaemia, but I had the hospital on speed dial in case anything went wrong. Besides, the girl deserved some time out.

  I spotted Rya sitting on a velvet, chaise longue, staring at her phone before she caught my eye. "Took you long enough!" she smiled happily and stood up, rushing over.

   "There was traffic, but we're here, aren't we?" I chuckled as she came to meet us. Her eyes fell to Skye and I could sense Skye's nervousness. Skye was a very small human being, I very much doubted her to be anything over 5ft, whereas Rya was pretty tall at 5ft8. She definitely towered over her to say the least. However, I suddenly realised that Skye's variety of human interaction had been so limited over the past few years that meeting new people must've been rather daunting for her. Rya wasn't one to bite though, unless you gave her a reason to, but Skye was the sweetest girl I knew. I knew the two would get on great.