THIRTY THREE

I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next few days. All that occupied my mind was Skye.

  After our conversation, Roman and I ate dinner in the refectory as we waited for his parents. I expected them to be mad at me, but they weren't and instead grateful I called the ambulance. The whole time we ate, Roman kept telling me how Skye was going to get better and that he was going to make sure of it. I sat there in silence. How could I tell him that she didn't want his help? He wouldn't listen to me anyways, and so I just sat there, listening to his false hope, trying to hold myself together knowing how crushed he would be if anything happened to his sister.

  A few days later, Skye had been moved to her regular room at the hospital, and Roman wasn't in school because he wanted to take care of her. Those few days I would go to his classes after school and ask the teachers for the work he needed to complete. I'd drop it off at his house straight after, sometimes I'd just leave because he looked too tired to conversate and needed sleep, other times he'd let me in, and I'd listen as he would tell me about Skye's progress.

  Turns out she filled her water bottle with crushed stimulants and appetite suppressors. The stimulants were causing her to have an addiction and so the doctors were trying to ween her off it. It explained why she always carried that water bottle around, taking constant, aggressive sips every now and then.

  I wasn't allowed to visit her yet due to hospital rules but Roman gave me her number and so we texted. She would tell me about all the hospital drama she overheard from the staff that sometimes sounded like a Greys Anatomy episode. Other times she'd send me pictures of paintings she had done in her spare time. I admired it. How she almost died yet kept a good spirit.

  Skye's expecting to die. It's nothing new to her.

  I didn't want to think about that, but it was so hard not to.

  Sitting at lunch, I kept staring at the wall, thinking about Skye once again. She told me her parents were sending her back to therapy and how useless it was to her, but I told her to just enjoy having someone else's company and she seemed to take it better that way.

  Rya was discussing something about Christopher once again. What it was, I had no clue, but I assumed he was being a dick and getting under her skin in yet another way.

   "Are you listening?" she suddenly cut me out of my thoughts.

  I snapped my head to her, "Hmm?"

   "I said, the school's library's gotten quite busy today. Any wonders as to why?" I didn't tell Rya about Skye. It wasn't right to. This was for Roman's family to tell, not me, and so I couldn't blame Rya for her cluelessness.

  The library being busy probably meant Roman was back. He still spent his time in the library every lunch still, just tons of girls followed him in there, pretending to study when, in reality, they were just checking him out or trying to get his attention. I didn't know whether he acted to it or not.

   "Yeah, I guess." He didn't tell me he was coming back in today. I kind of thought he would but I guess not. He probably had too much on his mind.

  I picked at the chicken nuggets on my tray. I didn't like the idea of buying them and the idea of breaking my diet was lowkey terrifying, but I decided to do it. It wasn't just for the girls who wanted to be more like me, but for myself too. I knew the pressures Skye faced; I knew them all too well. For once, I just wanted to eat whatever the hell I wanted without fear of what it'd do to my body. It was slightly nerving to do so, and the stares I got weren't exactly ones of support either, but I did it. I got carrot sticks on the side, but I still did it.