chapter | 29

──────L U D I C R O U S [ chapter 29 • intoxicating ]──────

──────
L U D I C R O U S
[ chapter 29 • intoxicating ]
──────

BEAMS OF HOT sun-rays shine down onto the field, coating my skin with so much heat, it's almost comforting.

Keyword fucking almost.

The heat is intoxicating. The burning sensation flowed through my body like wildfire. The indescribable warmth, suffocated me, stealing my every last breath as I ran around the field.

"What type of fucking kick was that, Ramos? My three-year-old can kick better than that!" Coach Reece's shrill voice eludes the field. Leave it to my lovely coach to compare his high school students to his three-year-old daughter — it's a really good support system.

I wipe the beads of sweat that trailed along my forehead with the bottom of my shirt and try to level my breathing. Usually a play like this, I can run with my damn eyes closed. But I simply can't pull my shit together, no matter how hard I tried today.

"Bro, what's gotten into you?" Zander questions, sending a punch to my arm. "My legs are getting ready to fall off because you keep making us run this play over and over."

I shrug, brows meeting together. "Nothing."

Well, it's more a someone than anything.

Atalie fucking Anderson.

She's fucking with my head once more. Her smile, her laugh, her eyes, just everything about her replays in my mind — it's been like this throughout the entire day.

I couldn't think straight or clearly without my mind trailing back to her. Especially, to the night at the bakery.

Her body fit perfectly against mine. Her heart beating rhythmically against her chest, her shaky breaths urging me on, and her glossed lips. God, her glossed lips. Everything about her and that night are intoxicating — it's a drug and my body can't seem to get enough of her and that night.

Shit, if it wasn't for her father walking in, I would've kissed her.

But, I have to say her father walking in had been a blessing in a way because kissing her would jeopardize our entire friendship. I would lose her, and I didn't want that.

My thoughts are hastily put to a pause when a ball gets sent my way, knocking any form of Atalie Anderson in my mind to the back of my head. "What the hell?" My voice rasps out.

"Quit, staring into space." Remarks the stupid assistant coach, Mason.

When this season is over, I can't wait to beat the shit him because he clearly didn't get the first and second message.

"Listen up ladies, I don't know what the hell has gotten into your heads, but figure a way to rid of that shit." Coach Reece advises.

I hold back an eye-roll because there's no way I can get Atalie out of my head. I've been trying all night and nothing is working. She's embedded into my mind and there's no way in getting rid of her.