chapter | 46

──────L U D I C R O U S[ chapter 46 • bad evenings]──────

──────
L U D I C R O U S
[ chapter 46 • bad evenings]
──────

A FIRM COLD breeze flowed through my hair that laid messily on my forehead while I drove along the road.

The wheels soared smoothly against the road, a sweet symphony rang in the background under the sound of the wind. With one hand on the wheel and the other gripping the roof of the car, the cold air felt refreshing against my skin.

Every few minutes I would peek over at Atalie. Her head was rested against the window, her hair flowing around her due to the breeze. She twisted the rings on her fingers as she shook her legs, eyes trained on the various objects that blurred past us.

There was something off about her today.

Feeling eyes on her, she turns to glance at me. "You ever consider just running away? Changing your identity, grabbing a bag, and just going wherever your heart desires?" She suddenly asks.

I glance at her once more before returning my gaze to the road ahead of us. We were going nowhere, in particular, she just wanted to go for a ride and asked for me to be her company. "Why? You wanna roam the world with me, brat?" A sheepish grin plasters onto my face.

She scoffs. "I never said that. It's just a simple question, idiot."

"Sure. Think about it all the time."

There were times when my life just became too overwhelming — everything had to be done perfectly, and it was fucking tiring as hell trying to be this prodigy student, this perfect person for everyone. The pressure could be compared to a shit ton of bricks just crushing me down every single waking moment of the day.

But whenever I'm with Atalie, the pressure of wanting to please everyone just disappears and I'm allowed to be myself, not caring about anything or anyone's thoughts.

"I do too. Life is just taking its toll and the universe is being a soul-crushing bitch," she mutters. "Where would your first place be?"

"Anywhere that wouldn't involve me getting killed, or arrested for being myself," I say.

"I don't get why is it too hard for people to accept people for who they are. It's just infuriating and annoying. Like it shouldn't matter what skin tone, race one is and their preferred gender to like, their human fucking begins, they deserve the same respect," she huffs out angrily. "God, I hate this world."

Switching my left hand to be on the wheel, I reach for her hand. "It's okay. It's sad but one day the world won't be filled with such hatred and it's up to us to change that." I offer her a smile. "Now, where would you go?"