chapter | 54

──────L U D I C R O U S [ chapter 54 • surprise visit ]──────

──────
L U D I C R O U S
[ chapter 54 • surprise visit ]
──────

{tw: ed}

I COULDN'T SLEEP.

I couldn't eat. I couldn't focus on any of my practices. I couldn't focus on the damn games. I couldn't focus on anything because nothing else was my top priority. And, all my thoughts were cloudy with ground-breaking, overwhelming scenarios Atalie could find herself into during this vulnerable time for her — she's been my top priority the past few days.

The whippers chattered against the windshield, causing the glass to be unevenly cleared of water. Pulling into the driveway, the gravel crunched underneath the tries before I pressed my foot down on the brake and shifted the gear into park. A heavy sigh left my parted lips as chestnut eyes were settled on the droplets of water on the window, watching as the water slowly trailed down the hazy glass.

Fingers drumming an unrhythmical beat against the steering wheel, ears straining for the sound of her ringtone. Or a notification to pop up on my screen titling 'my brat' followed by various texts of her just ranting about her day.

Concern sprang through my body as I never received any of those. I understood she had personal issues to worry about, but she had made it clear she needed me, and missing our set call wasn't helping the worry inflicted upon me since I witnessed her first panic attack.

The deafening silence, however, was cut short as my phone located on the passenger seat dinged. Reaching for my phone, the corners of my lips curved into a smile, noticing it was a text from her.

IMESSAGES

my brat
are you up

me
always

my brat
are you too busy
to talk on the phone

me
never for you

me
ok that shit was
cheesy, but are you
okay

my brat
can you talk to me
on the phone? i need
to hear your voice

me
of course

my brat is facetiming...
accept | decline

my brat is facetiming...
connecting...

My phone screen lit up with her face, she wore my red hoodie, the hood pulled over her head, hiding her wavy hair. Her glasses sat perched on her nose somewhat concealing her puffy red eyes. She sniffles as she waves at the screen. "Hi." She moves her glasses up, rubbing her eyes.