nine

✧

A combine for the football players wasn't exactly Luna's scene, or how she wanted to spend her free afternoon. But when her best friend called her asking to fill in her spot to check in the players due to some unknown emergency she agreed. Only because Liv asked.

Luna turned to look at Layla who Liv had also called to check in the players. "Do you know what Liv's big emergency was?"

"Pretty sure it has something to do with Asher," Layla rolled her eyes. "Shouldn't you know? You two are best friends."

"No need to be so cynical, Layla," she scoffed. "She said she needed a favor and so I came here. No questions asked."

"Well, aren't you best friend of the year," Layla snarked.

"What the hell's your problem?" she spat. "I haven't done anything."

"Except for keeping Liv's secret about she and Asher hooking up to yourself," Layla retorted. "I thought we were best friends but clearly, not."

Luna furrowed her eyebrows. "Okay, no. I didn't keep Liv's secret. I kept Asher's secret because he told me and then I went to Liv's..." she inhaled sharply thinking back to the day she and Jordan found Liv passed out on the couch. "I tried to talk to her the next day and instead found my best friend literally on the brink of death. I'm sorry if the first thing on my mind wasn't telling you that they hooked up."

Layla frowned, not knowing any of this information. "Oh...I'm sorry. Look, I—"

"Hey," Spencer approached the two. "Am I interrupting?"

"She's all yours," Luna stood up from the chair, eyeing Jordan in the corner with JJ and walking over to them. "Hey, guys."

"Hey, moon," JJ grinned widely.

"Hey," Jordan pulled her in by the waist, kissing her cheek softly before placing his chin on her shoulder. "What's going on? You look upset."

"Oh, just the usual Layla and Luna catfight," she waved him off. "It's nothing."

JJ looked between the two friends confused but before he could point anything out, Layla and Spencer had walked over to the trio. The boys then drifted into a conversation about the combine and how they needed to show the college recruiters what they were made of which gained the attention of a college recruiter who then walked over. Making the two girls walk away.

Layla stared at her friend with apologetic eyes. "Sorry."

"Whatever," she attempted to wave her off.

"No. Not whatever," Layla stood her ground. "We are best friends, okay? Maybe we're not as close as you and Liv. But, we're friends. So, I'm sorry for snapping at you, I never knew you were there that day."

"It's not something you want to relive," Luna shrugged. "And I'm sorry for keeping it from you. It was an impossible situation. Liv's my best friend and Asher, he's Peter's nephew. They did a terrible thing behind my other best friend's back...I just didn't want to be in the middle of anything."

"I don't know what I'd do if I knew a secret like that," Layla said. "On other news, you and Jordan seem super cozy."

She blushed, glancing down at her shoes. "I don't know what's going on if I'm being honest."

"Well I think you two would make a great couple," Layla complimented. "I mean you're hot, Jordan's...attractive. Match made in heaven."

"You think I'm hot?" she teased. "Aw, Layla. If only Spencer James didn't capture your heart so soon."

"Oh, shut up," Layla slapped her shoulder.

"If I'm being honest, I'm kind of hesitant about going there with him," Luna frowned. "He doesn't have the best track record when it comes to girls. And I've never been one to be tied down."

"Look, Jordan seems to really like you," Layla reassured her. "And if you really like him too, you'll make it work."

♡♡♡

Since the day of the combine, things have been weird. One, Liv's emergency was helping Asher out and she had told Luna that he had been sleeping in his car which she found strange since he had unlimited access to their guest room whenever he wanted. Two, his father kicked him out, that part wasn't so weird. But, Liv had told her the news about Asher being very persistent about not staying at Luna's house. Which ultimately led him to be a guest at Layla's.

So the Ramirez girl did the first thing she thought of doing once she heard he was staying at Layla's house. She drove right over to her friend's house and waited patiently for someone to open the door and once Layla saw her she looked almost relieved to see Luna on her doorstep.

"I was waiting for you to show up," Layla sighed. "You're here to take Asher to your house, right?"

"I'm here to talk to him," she corrected. "To find out why he can't stay at my place. The place where he has an assigned guest room."

"Maybe you can convince him to stay at your place?" Layla looked at her with hopeful eyes. "As much as I want to help, it's weird to have him here."

"Yeah, I'm sure Spence isn't too happy about this either," she chuckled. "Is he in the guest room?"

Layla nodded in confirmation, gesturing towards the stairs. "You know where it's at."

She let out an irritated scoff, finding her way through the house before approaching the room and peeking her head in. Asher saw the glimpse of Luna's face, not looking too thrilled to see her.

"How'd you find me?" Asher asked.

"Well...you're in best friend's house," she retorted. "Why are you here, Ash?"

"Oh, you know," he let out a fake yawn. "I missed the guest room."

"That's weird," Luna scoffed, plopping down on the edge of the bed. "From what I've heard, you were sleeping in your car and now you're crashing here. You also refuse to stay at my house where your uncle lives and the place where you basically have your own room."

"My dad kicked me out," he confessed. "I don't want Peter and him to fight. You cannot tell him anything about this."

"What about your mom?" she questioned.

"Doesn't want me," Asher shrugged.

"Tell me about it," Luna lifted her hand up for a high five. "Parents suck."

"Yours don't," Asher reciprocated the gesture. "I mean your dad does. But, Peter and your mom are great. Just give him a chance."

"Yeah, whatever," she waved him off. "Uh, you sure you don't want to stay with me? We can come up with a lie to tell my mom and Peter."

"Nah, they'll get suspicious if I stay too long," Asher sighed. "Thanks for the offer. You know, I think this is the nicest thing you've ever done or tried to do for me."

Luna pushed herself off of the bed, grabbing a pillow from the ground, and aimed it at his head. "Don't get used to it."

"And she's back," Asher threw his hands up in defeat. "You were nice for 2 whole minutes."

01x11