forty-one

✧

When Asher had asked Luna to attend the brunch with his mother, Gwen, she wasn't entirely expecting their interaction to be so awkward. The only reason she attended the brunch was because this was usually something Olivia would do for him but considering those two were broken up and their communication was non-existent. Luna had decided to step up and do the right thing by attending the brunch with him.

However, the whole exchange was very awkward and sort of cringe. She didn't realize how strange things had been between them ever since Jacob, his mom's fiance, had come around.

"Luna," Gwen softly smiled. "You've grown so much. How long has it been since I've seen you?"

"I don't know," she awkwardly shrugged. "Two years? Maybe even longer?"

"Has it been that long?" Gwen gasped. "Wow, well, it's nice to see you and Asher getting along."

Luna just gave her a soft nod, picking up her drink and taking a sip out of it.

"Maybe, you'll join us at Jacob's restaurant, later?" Gwen continued as she looked at herself in a compact mirror. "I get to see both of you twice in one day and this way, you'll meet Jacob. His restaurant's amazing."

"Uh, I was kinda thinking this could dinner," Asher suggested as he gestured to the cafe. "I need to get some reps in on the field tonight..." his mom stared at him cautiously causing him to hold his hands up defensively. "What?"

"It's just funny," Gwen shook her head. "Every time I try to make plans with you and Jacob, you always...seem to have other things going on."

Asher glanced at the table. "It's not that funny."

"Hey, guys."

The three turned their heads towards the voice and noticed Vanessa walking up to the table. Asher had awkwardly tensed up once she approached them causing the already weird atmosphere to get even weirder.

"Hey, Vanessa," Luna sent her a soft smile. "Um, Gwen, this is Vanessa."

"Hi, Vanessa," she sent her a friendly smile. "I'm Asher's mom."

The two exchanged friendly greetings and Gwen even suggested that she join them but thankfully she declined because that was not what Luna had signed up for. But, before Vanessa could leave, she suggested that she and Asher study, causing Gwen to raise an eyebrow in her son's direction.

"Studying is that what you guys call it, now?" Gwen stared at her son.

"When we're studying, yeah," Asher quipped.

"What's going on with you two?" Gwen curiously pried.

"They like each other, obviously," Luna deadpanned. "But, something is holding him back."