seventeen

✧

Luna walked up to the doorstep of Asher's house, pressing her finger against the doorbell and repeatedly pressing the button. Harold swung the door open, giving the teen an irritated expression once he spotted her.

She waved the manilla folder that Peter had asked for her to deliver to their house in his face, clearly working his last nerve. But, she didn't care because annoying Harold was Luna's favorite pastime since she was a child and he just took it because he knew there was absolutely no stopping her.

They entered the kitchen where Asher was talking on the phone and once he spotted the two he quickly hung up the phone in a rushed manner, alerting both of their attentions.

Luna raised her eyebrow. "Who was on the phone, Ash?"

"What's in the envelope, Luna?" Asher challenged, eyeing the envelope in her hand.

"It's for your dad," she scoffed, sliding it over the countertop and over to his dad. "It's from Peter."

"Hopefully, it's the good news I was telling you about," Harold glanced at his son with a wide smile. "I don't want to jinx anything but hopefully this will work out."

"That's great, dad," Asher smiled.

"Wonderful," Luna commented. "Come on, Ash. Let's go to school."

Before Asher could follow after her, Harold's voice stopped them in their tracks. "So...who was on the phone?"

"Mom," Asher confessed. "I was surprised to hear from her. It's been, like, a year. She asked to meet for lunch tomorrow. Said she had something important she wanted to talk to me about."

"Well, I guess everyone has big news," Harold kept a stoic expression on his face. "Luna, any news you have to share?"

"Why do you people involve me?" she scoffed. "Goodbye, Harold."

She sent him an irritated look before throwing her arm around Asher's shoulder and guiding him out of the house and over to her car that was parked on their driveway.

"Will you come with me?" Asher asked. "To see my mom."

"Oh..." she grimaced. "No. Sorry, Ash. That's not my thing. But, you know who you should ask?"

"Who?" he stared curiously over at her.

"Liv," she shrugged. "She always gives great advice and she knows how to console someone after they get bad news. Not saying that this meeting with your mom will go bad. Plus, you like her."

"I do not!" Asher argued.

"You like Olivia," Luna nodded, pulling into a parking space at school. "And my best friend is single and she may or may not like you."

"Wait..." Asher paused. "She likes me?"

Luna mimicked a zipping gesture to her lips, grabbed her backpack from the backseat, and left him alone by her car as she entered the school halls.