twenty-two

✧

Luna pushed around the basket of fries while everyone else engaged in conversation around her. Layla had just gotten out of rehab and Asher, Liv, and Spencer agreed to eat at the cafe, also extending the invite to the Ramirez girl. However, she felt as if she was the fifth wheel, considering Liv and Asher were dating, and Spencer and Layla...were exes. But extremely friendly exes.

Asher snapped his fingers in front of her face, alerting her attention. "Hey, Luna!"

"What, Asher?" she whined. "What do you want?"

"Liv was trying to get your attention!" Asher argued.

"You two argue like children," Layla glanced at them. "Or like siblings."

"Anyway," Liv drawled, gaining their attention. "We have to catch Layla up on what's been going on while she was away."

"Oh!" Luna clapped her hands together. "JJ's president, now."

"Oh. Stop," Layla cringed. "No, that's enough. I don't want to live in this scary new world. Maybe I should just check myself back in."

"Hey, maybe, I'll join you?" Luna joked.

"No. Don't you dare," Liv pointed her finger at them.  "You're coming to my cotillion. Both of you."

"I cannot believe you're excited for a fancy ball," Layla laughed.

"Who said I was excited?" Liv retorted. "I mean, if I have to try on one more pair of frilly white gloves, I will cut my hands off in protest."

"You would still need gloves for the stumps though?" Spencer balled his hands up into fists and placed them against his face. "Right?"

"Hey, she's been dreading this thing since she's heard about it," Asher added.

"Why?" Layla questioned. "I think it could be fun. We can, like, all go together."

"That's not how it works," Luna shook her head. "Liv, Asher, and Spence have to get there before us for the whole presentation thing."

Layla glanced at Spencer, tilting her head. "Why do you have to be there?"

"Uh, Kia didn't have an escort," Spencer awkwardly said. "So I told her I'd go."

She dropped her shoulders, feigning a smile. "Oh, that'll be fun."

"You and I can go together," Luna offered. "It's not like I have to be up there and I hate attending things by myself."

"You have a boyfriend," Layla laughed her off, immediately pursing her lips together once she noticed Luna's face fall. "Don't you?"

"I lied to you," Luna confessed. "Jordan and I broke up weeks ago. We...weren't working out."

"Great!" Layla exclaimed. "Wait...not you and Jordan. I meant the whole cotillion thing. I think it'll be great if we go together."

toxic | j. baker¹On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara