twenty-seven

✧

Luna looked up from the table as her plate of breakfast food was set down in front of her, silently thanking the waiter. She picked up her spoon, pushing the yogurt parfait around, and let out a few muffled groans, clearly not in the mood for anything.

"Why do you look so miserable?" Maria asked her daughter. "This is our mother-daughter breakfast date look a little happy to see me."

"I'm just tired," she sighed, lifting a strawberry to her mouth a taking a bite out of it. "I had a long night."

"Mmm, let me guess boy trouble?" Maria tapped her chin. "Or should I say Jordan Baker trouble?"

"Sort of," she shrugged. "He's just so...frustrating! It's like one minute he's all Luna...I want you back. The next minute he's fighting some guy because of Simone."

"Simone?" Maria raised her eyebrow. "The girl who lied about being pregnant with his baby."

Luna nodded, gulping down her water. "That would be Simone."

"Well, boys are stupid at your age," Maria sighed. "I met your dad when I was young and look what happened."

"Yeah, but, papi was just like born stupid," Luna groaned. "He's like 40 and he thought it was okay to abandon a whole 17-year-old."

"Alright," Maria grimaced. "Time for school, mija."

Luna stood up from her stool with a frown, giving her mom a soft peck on the cheek. "Love you."

♡♡♡

Luna stood at her opened locker, unzipping her backpack and fiddling with the small gift box in her hand. She glanced down the hallway staring over at Jordan who was at his locker and debating on whether or not to go over to him

"Hey!" Liv walked over to her, immediately eyeing the gift in her hand. "What's that?"

"Oh..." she sighed. "It's nothing. What's going on?"

"Nothing," Liv glanced down at the floor. "It's just..."

"Liv?" Luna nudged her shoulder, staring at her uneasily. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she shrugged. "I'm fine. I just really wish my best friend wasn't leaving for the summer."

Luna frowned, shutting her locker and leaned against it to fully look at Olivia. "What are you talking about, Liv? I thought you were going to Mexico with Asher and his mom."

"No," Liv sighed. "I told him that I should stay behind and he should enjoy his summer with his mom and Jacob. I think it'd be good for Asher to get to know Jacob and to finally spend some one-on-one time with his mom."

"That was incredibly selfless of you," she raised her eyebrow. "But, I'm sure Asher appreciates it. And you know, there's always space on my stepdad's yacht for my best friend. Plus, Peter and my mom love you they would never object to having you with us for the summer."