thirty-nine

✧

The past two weeks had felt like an endless loop of absolutely nothing. Jordan had been sulking over his recent news about not being able to play football for the remainder of his senior year. Luna had tried her best to be a supportive girlfriend and reach out to her boyfriend but he wanted nothing to do with her and sent her multiple messages telling her to stay away from him.

So she went on with life as she normally would, going to school, attending cheer practice, and checking in with Liv to ask how Jordan was doing since clearly, he wasn't going to talk to her while he was in a funk.

Luna spent her free Saturday afternoon completing her unfinished college applications. She had been putting them off for a while but since she had all of this free time, she decided to work on them and she was even able to put the art portfolio that Jordan had put together to good use.

Asher walked into her room. "Hey, cousin."

"I thought we discussed this whole "cousin" thing," she squinted her eyes at him.

"You discussed," Asher pointed at her. "I just listened. Anyway, are you doing anything important right now?"

"If you count sending in my college applications important?" Luna sighed. "But, I just finished them up. So, what's up?"

He curiously peeked at her laptop. "What schools?"

"Don't worry about it," she scoffed. "Do you need something or did you just come here to bother me?"

"Have you talked to your boyfriend, lately?" Asher asked. "Or heard from him at least?"

"I've left him a few messages but he told me he would like to be left alone," Luna shrugged. "But, Mrs. Baker's been sort of texting me and asking if I'd go see him. I'm just a little hesitant."

"Well, isn't that convenient?" he raised his eyebrow. "His dad texted me asking me if I'd check on him. Do you wanna come with me?"

She rested her head against the wall. "I don't know. He made himself pretty clear on wanting me to stay away."

"Come on, I'm sure he misses you," Asher guilt-tripped her. "Plus, he's all alone and he just got some pretty devasting news."

Luna debated the idea in her head but eventually gave in. "You're lucky I don't have any plans."

She hopped off of her bed and slipped on some shoes, grabbing her keys off of her dresser and gestured towards the staircase. Despite Asher driving himself over to her house, Luna had insisted that she drive them over to Jordan's place, just so she could have the option to leave whenever she wanted to.

As they approached the front door, JJ had joined them. Leaving them in an awkward silence since there was still some unresolved tension from homecoming between Asher and JJ.