forty

✧

Jordan and Luna stood in the corner of the backyard, being incredibly annoying. His phone had been glued to their faces while they took an annoying amount of selfies and did as much as they could to annoy their moms who were patiently waiting to eat.

Despite the nice conversation and the happy mood that Jordan had been in, he still didn't seem to be back to himself. Which Luna wasn't expecting, he had just lost football and that wasn't something you could just get over. But, his mood had been incredibly out of wack. One minute he was moody and sulking. The next minute he was happy and upbeat. She was just glad that at the moment, he was happy.

Laura glanced at the lovestruck teens. "When you two are done taking selfies, feel free to join us!"

"We'll be over in a minute, mom!" Jordan yelled back to his mom.

Luna let out a soft giggle, slipping her hand into Jordan's hold and tugging him in the direction of the outdoor dining table. "Our moms don't look too happy with us. Come on."

Jordan shook his head and laughed as they approached their upset mothers, pulling out his girlfriend's chair so that she could sit down before following her action.

She glanced across the table and glanced at her mom who was sitting right next to Mrs. Baker. "So, what exactly is the point of this impromptu brunch, mother?"

"What?" Laura smiled. "We can't have breakfast with our kids?"

The couple exchanged an eye roll. "No!"

"Plus, if you really wanted all of your kids here," Luna wagged a finger in their direction. "Liv would probably be here and so would Asher because mom treats him like a son."

Maria shared a sheepish glance with Laura, taking a sip out of her water before setting her cup down and staring the teens down. "We just wanted to sit down with you two and get a feel for this relationship. It seems pretty serious now. I mean, it's not every day your teenage daughter goes on a weekend getaway with her boyfriend."

"Well, because it is serious," Jordan stated. "I'm in love with your daughter. I have been...for years."

"I know, when we first got together things were a little difficult," Luna sighed. "But, this time around is different...we're really happy together, and I think we're in a way better place now."

"That was absolutely adorable," Maria gushed.

"Now, for the dreaded question," Laura sighed. "I'll leave it up to the healthcare professional to ask this one."

"Oh, thanks, Laura," Maria scoffed. "Are you two...engaging in sexual activity?"

"Oh, God! Mom!" Jordan spat out his orange juice. "Seriously?!"