twenty-four

It had been a couple of weeks since the shooting and things in Beverly Hills had returned...somewhat normally. The boys had been off running drills nonstop for whatever important game was coming up. While Luna and Liv had been trying their best to heal from the trauma they had endured that night along with Spencer who was doing his best to get back into football.

Layla approached the two girls at their locker. "Hey, what are you two still doing here?"

Liv shut her locker to glance at her. "Uh, we've been talking to the counselor a couple of days a week since the, you know..."

"Yeah, I love Ms. Bailey," Layla shrugged. "She's great."

"Agreed," Luna grabbed her backpack off of the floor and slipped it over her shoulder. "She listens to me ramble on about literally everything."

"Same," Liv agreed. "It's kind of like a dry run for my podcast material."

"Oh, I listened to the latest episode of your podcast," Layla complimented. "So good. Just keeps getting better and better, Liv."

Liv smiled at her. "Thank you."

"Wait," Luna glanced at Layla. "Why are you still here?"

"Uh, extra credit," Layla answered. "I'm still trying to dig myself out of that hole I dug when I skipped all those classes."

"At least you seem happy," Liv shrugged.

"Well, enough about me!" Layla stressed. "Someone's birthday's coming up. Luna, what are we doing?"

"Wallowing in self-pity," she answered.

"Seriously?" Liv groaned. "Come on, you only turn 17 once."

"What's there to celebrate?" Luna sighed. "This year has sucked. My dad's been a lot more MIA than usual. Pretty sure he just outright abandoned me. I had a boyfriend and then I lost a boyfriend. Oh, and then I witnessed one of my closest friends getting shot and one of the stray bullets hit my arm. So, yeah, not really in the mood to celebrate my birthday this year."

"Okay," Layla uneasily stared at her. "So, are we not allowed to buy you gifts?"

"I will always accept gifts. Especially expensive ones," Luna looked at her friends. "But, if you'll excuse me, I have to get home."

She sent them a wave before running out of the hallway and towards the parking lot. Layla had given Olivia an apologetic smile before dashing right after in hopes of talking to her.

"Luna! Stop walking so fast!"

She stopped in her tracks and turned to face Layla with her eyebrows furrowed. "If this is about my birthday I do—"

"No," Layla cut her off. "It's not about your birthday. It's about the cotillion, I never got the chance to thank you for being there for me that night. Even though, I was probably the world's worst date."

"Oh, I've been on worst dates," Luna joked. "It was nothing, Layla, I...I just wanted to be there for you."

"I appreciate it," Layla smiled softly.

Something inside of Layla ignited as her eyes flickered towards Luna's lips, there was just something about her that was practically screaming kiss me. So, she took a step closer, allowing their noses to practically rub against each others considering they were close in height. Luna inhaled sharply at their closeness, not knowing where Layla was going with this. But, before she could speak a pair of soft lips were pressed up against hers.

Luna pulled away, softly jerking her head back. "We've never done that before..."

"I know," Layla sheepishly glanced at the floor. "It's just you know who you are. You're out and you've had experiences with girls. And I'm—"