sixteen

✧

Luna dipped her feet into the bowl of water while another woman had been working on her nails. She had recruited her stepdad into coming with her to get her nails done, she knew she had treated him unfairly in the past, and even recently so she was trying her best to do get along with him. Peter had been the closest thing she had to a father and everyone always pointed out how unfairly she treated him and sometimes she just felt terrible about it.

"Isn't this something you'd ask mom to do?" Peter glanced over at the teen.

"Uh, yeah," she shrugged. "But, mom's always busy and we...we don't spend a lot of one on one time together."

"Oh," he smiled softly. "You wanted to spend time with me?"

"I guess," she attempted to brush him off. "I mean, it's not a big deal or anything."

Peter smiled widely as a woman worked on his nails. "So, not a big deal."

She let out a small sound of amusement watching as he got a bit too excited at the news of his stepdaughter wanting to spend time with him while simultaneously sifting through the bundle of nail colors on her lap and picking a color.

"So...how's Jordan?" Peter asked, nonchalantly. "Your boyfriend."

"Oh, things are...fine," she lied.

"Trouble in paradise, already?" Peter raised his eyebrow. "What'd he do? Don't feel the need to tell me, though."

"It's fine," Luna sighed. "Jordan's just been acting like a completely different person, lately. He's been an asshole to Asher, Mr. and Mrs. Baker, Liv, even me! And I'm not sure if I can handle that, I've never even been in a relationship, how am I supposed to handle...this?"

"Jordan's going through a tough time right now," Peter shook his head. "He just found out his dad had an affair and he's probably acting out because he's scared of the repercussions of his dad's actions. I mean, Laura and Billy have a strong marriage but an affair can break a relationship."

"Whose side are you on?" Luna wrinkled her nose. "Look,  he's been acting like such a cocky little shit. And as much as I like Jordan, this new attitude is not the Jordan I agreed to date."

"I'm on your side, always," Peter reassured. "But, I was once a sixteen-year-old cocky little shit as you so kindly put it. So, I know how they work. He's probably just trying to conceal his true feelings. Maybe you should talk to him or something? You know firsthand how hard it is to have your parents split up."

"That's completely different," Luna sighed. "My parents split up before I was even born. Plus, Coach Baker and my dad are two totally different people."

"Well, you should still talk to Jordan," Peter raised his eyebrow. "If not for him, but for your own sake."

♡♡♡