Chapter 20 - The Beast

(Author's note: Did you miss Negan? 😊 Listen to "Monster" by Skillet. I feel like this song could be his theme song. :D ❤ Listen before reading.)

...

Negan, Alexandria

Negan was devastated. He fell back to depression, which turned into anger with time. He felt like a caged beast more than ever. He wanted to let out his anger, he wanted to destroy. Because that's exactly what he felt inside. Destruction. He was crushed by his own emotions. Only if he had Lucille, he could have smashed everything around him. Everything fell apart. He had several breakdowns when he was usually yelling and throwing and kicking things in his cell. He couldn't get over Quinn's "death". It never occurred to him that Daryl may have lied to him. He was going nuts that day as well, but this one time he had gone too far.

He started hitting the wall with his fist until it started to bleed.

He was screaming while doing it.

Gabriel was passing by, he heard Negan screaming, so he looked through the window and ran away immediately. He got scared. His heart pumped in his ears as he rushed to get Siddiq.

Gabriel brought him along, he opened the cell and they rushed to him to tie his hands, but they couldn't. Negan was fighting them off while screaming, he punched Gabriel in the stomach, then Negan collapsed on the floor and started to cry while they managed to tie his hands behind his back, finally.

"What happened to him?" asked Gabriel, gasping for air, rubbing his stomach.

"I don't know. Looks like a psychiatric case, which I don't have much experience with," said Siddiq.

"What should we do with him?" asked Gabriel.

"What's going on here?" asked Michonne who had just came down the stairs.

"Negan is having some kind of a... seizure," said Siddiq, unsurely.

"What's your problem?" asked Michonne strictly, but Negan was just sitting on the floor crying.

"Quinn..." he sobbed.

Michonne remembered that Daryl told Negan, Quinn didn't survive the suicide attempt. Michonne didn't care what Negan thought, she didn't care either how he felt. Gabriel and Siddiq kept their eyes down, they didn't dare to look at Michonne. They knew Quinn was alive and they felt guilty for not telling Negan. Siddiq glanced at Michonne, then looked back at Negan.

"Try to calm him somehow. He is waking up the children," said Michonne and she left.

Gabriel and Siddiq looked at each other, then they took Negan to the infirmary.

...

Siddiq managed to calm Negan down by giving him a sedative injection and while he was dozing off, Siddiq put gauze on his injured hand.

They put him back in the cell.

Finally, Gabriel took pity on him, so he decided he is going to have a session with him, once every week. He is not going to tell him the truth about Quinn, though, however bad he felt about it. It was Daryl's call and Michonne went with it, so he didn't want to go against them.

...

One week later the mental breakdown

Gabriel closed his eyes and took a deep breath before he entered the basement. He felt like his heart was heavy. He walked down slowly. Negan was sitting on the ground, staring in front of him, into nothing. Gabriel looked at him for a moment, Negan didn't give any sign he acknowledged his presence. Gabriel sat down on the bench which was right outside his cell. They brought it in especially for Gabriel, so he could sit there while having the session. Gabriel didn't know what to do, how to start. He knew Negan didn't believe in God, not even before the world ended and definitely not now. Gabriel cleared his throat, gently, then looked at Negan again.