Chapter 3 - Now or Never

(Author's notes: Since I'm an overly musical person I would like to recommend some songs to listen to while reading this fanfiction. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link anything here, so I'm just writing them down: One of the songs is "Everytime" by Britney Spears. I was listening to this song while writing a specific scene, you'll see. Listen to this song when Quinn is in the forest.)

...

How did I end up falling in love with Negan?

I'm asking myself this question all the time.

Back then, when Daryl was living in the woods alone, I tried to find him. I waited of course, I understood he had to mourn Rick. And I'm still sure he was also down because Carol gave a chance to Ezekiel.

But I decided. I waited for 2 years.

One day, I went to give Negan his breakfast.

We haven't spoken since I let him wash himself, but he seemed to be slightly better.

And we didn't speak that morning either. I left his breakfast and I went out. I had to find Daryl. I owe myself a chance, so I could say that I tried at least and won't have to wonder "what could have happened".

I decided. I will basically throw myself at him. No matter what. If he says no, I give up on him forever. If he says yes, well that would be the best thing to happen to me since the apocalypse started.

I knew he was good at tracing. Maybe I could give it a try. I ventured into the forest. I didn't keep track of time. I didn't care if Negan won't get lunch today.

I found some corpses, maybe Daryl put those walkers out. I hope he is still nearby and well.

I tried as hard as I could, but I was very bad at tracing. I didn't see anything special. Just trees and leaves and plants. I was wandering aimlessly.

I was concentrating so much on tracing that I guess I walked into a swamp.

I panicked.

What the hell?!

I thought it was just a muddy surface.

And here we go. A random walker out of nowhere. Of course. How could it be anything else? Just like in fairy tales. What were the chances, really?

I reached for my knife, but I kept sinking.

Suddenly, an arrow shot through the walker's head. It was him.

"What the hell are you doing?" Daryl asked.

"I accidentally walked into a swamp."

He threw a rope at me, I grabbed it and he pulled me out. I felt embarrassed. How could I act confident around him after this?

"And what are you doing out here?" he asked.

"Actually, I was looking for you."

"Really? Why?"

"I wanted to talk about something."

Was it the right time for this?

He looked at me curiously. He looked weary. He must have been crying a lot, because of Rick.

"Are you alright?" I asked him.

He nodded.

"I'm alive. I was searching for Rick's body," he said. I frowned my eyebrows. "What?" he asked.

"I didn't know that was the reason you left."

"I didn't leave, I will go back when I'm ready." I'm not sure what he meant, when he finds Rick or when he is mentally ready. "What was it you wanted to talk about?"