Chapter 63 - Ashes

Quinn, Hilltop

It was already evening when we reached Hilltop, but what we saw, was not Hilltop anymore. The whole town was on fire. I gasped, but I didn't have much time to think as Henry started to run towards the wall.

"Henry, stop! Wait!" I yelled at him, but of course, he didn't stop. I ran after him. I noticed Carol on the wall, shooting walkers with arrows. "Look! It's your mom, up there on the wall!" I yelled at Henry.

Just as we got closer, Carol noticed us, fear befell on her face. She didn't want Henry there, it was clear, but I couldn't stop the kid. We hurried inside and we climbed up to Carol.

"Mom!" Henry hugged her.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" asked Carol, almost hysterically. "You shouldn't be here!!!"

"It's okay, I won't be alone. I want to find Lydia, please, mom, tell me where she is!" he said, really determined. Carol calmed down a little, then pointed in Lydia's direction. She was wearing Henry's old armor and was killing walkers with her stick. Henry smiled widely. "Thanks!" he said, kissed Carol's cheek, and hurried down on the wall to run to Lydia. We watched him with Carol.

"Sorry, I couldn't stop him," I said, panting, I was trying to catch my breath after running. "Daryl let Lydia call him in the morning through the radio and he wanted to come. I couldn't leave him alone."

Carol looked at me like she was seeing a ghost, then she smiled at me, but I saw tears and guilt in her eyes. This was the first time we met since I got angry with her.

"It's okay... Thank you for protecting him," she said quietly, her lips trembling. "You were right about everything. I should have stayed with Henry... And I'm so sorry about Negan," she said and a tear rolled down her cheek, she quickly wiped it away.

"It's okay. I forgave you and Daryl. I had to. I couldn't lose you, too."

She nodded, smiled slightly, quickly wiped her face once more, and continued shooting walkers. I didn't know how to shoot a bow, so I just stayed by her side. I tried to search for whisperers among the walkers, but I had no chance with that distance. I glanced at Henry from time to time. He was fighting walkers along with Lydia by his side. I also saw Aaron and Jesus with spiked shields, and I saw Daryl too.

"What happened at the cave?" I asked gloomily. Carol glanced at me.

"Connie and Magna died because of me," she said, her voice cracking. "I killed Daryl's friend," she said and looked me in the eye.

I shook my head disapprovingly.

"As far as I know, it was an accident."

"You were right," she said and shot another walker. "I was a threat to others. I didn't listen to you."

"It's okay. We should focus on the walkers and the whisperers now."

She glanced at me, nodded, and continued shooting arrows. My eyes found Aaron and Jesus again, they were fighting side by side. It was good to see them finally together. I smiled involuntarily.

"I know you're probably still mad at me..." Carol started out of the blue, still swallowing back her tears. "...but I have to tell someone or I'm going nuts."

"Tell what?"

"I was such an idiot," said Carol while shooting arrows, without looking at me this time.

"What?" I glanced at her.

"I had sex with Ezekiel."

I assumed everything else but this.