Chapter 30 - Cemetery

Quinn, on the road

I quickly wiped away my tears, Aaron and Jesus got Eugene and we were on the run again. I tried as hard as I could to swallow back my tears because I didn't want them to blur my vision. I looked back above my shoulder, I watched Daryl disappear in the mist, which became thicker by the moment. I shook my head, wiped my eyes again, and followed the guys.

We hurried as much as we could, the mist was so thick around us I could almost touch it. We reached a cemetery. We hid behind the fence. The herd was still coming after us. I was scared. What if something happened to Daryl? Why were the herd still coming?

We tried to slow them down by changing our routes, but we could barely see anything. We found the gate, but Jesus couldn't open it, it was too old. I tried to help, him but to no avail. Aaron and Jesus tried to lift Eugene over the fence, but they couldn't, he was too heavy. I grabbed the knife Carol gave me.

"They are here," I warned them. Aaron pulled out his knife and Jesus his sword. I was breathing heavily. Eugene was staying at the fence, shaking. I glanced at him.

"I'm so glad we could see each other again," I told him, tears stinging my eyes, but I fought so hard not to cry.

"Don't say that Quinn, please. We will get out of this. We will," he said, but his voice was shaking too.

I smiled at him sadly, then turned around to face the walkers. I haven't used a knife in ages, so I was worried, but soon I got back into it. It was like riding a bicycle, you don't forget it completely. We started to take the walkers out as they approached us. Aaron was using his machine arm and Jesus used some kind of martial art, to kick them. I felt so useless, I was just stabbing their heads as much as I could. Eugene grabbed his machete too and came to help us, he stepped next to me and we took them out together. They stopped coming, but we heard a lot of growls, we were turning around to see if any were coming towards us.

Then I heard a clap of thunder. I jumped.

Oh no, please, not now, please. I started breathing heavily.

"Quinn, what's wrong?" asked Eugene.

"I panic when I hear storms," I said.

"That's not good," said Aaron worryingly. We all knew it was a terrible situation to have a panic attack. I was fighting against it, I tried.

I took deep breathes. Another thunder, another jump.

We heard a familiar voice, it was Michonne on the other side of the fence. I had no idea how she found us in this thick mist, but I was glad to see her.

I was still breathing heavily. Eugene helped Michonne to open the gate, then two women appeared next to Michonne, I didn't know them. They managed to open the gate, Aaron went to help Eugene walk, Jesus stood behind to cover our backs. I took a deep breath again and again.

Then I suddenly heard his voice inside my head.

"Look at me! Everything's gonna be alright."

"Everything's gonna be alright."

"Everything's gonna be alright..." I repeated whispering. I was crouching on the ground, seemed like they forgot that I was there. Aaron yelled at Jesus to follow him.

Everything's gonna be alright.

Jesus walked towards us, he put out a walker, but another one was going towards him.

I stood up quickly.

Jesus swung his sword at the last walker, but it dodged it and tried to stab Jesus from behind, but I got there at the last minute and knocked over the walker, stabbed it in the head. Jesus and I also fell as I jumped on his attacker. I was still breathing heavily, and it didn't help that I saw the walker was about to stab Jesus.