Chapter 55 - Chained

Quinn, Hilltop

I was sitting by the fallen tree, listening to Eugene's lecture about how many ways we can possibly use that tree, then he let us know about his plan to fix the wall too.

I found it hard to concentrate on his words. I kept spacing out about Negan. Just as I was deep in thoughts Michonne approached me.

"Quinn, can you come for a minute?" she asked. I followed her. When it was just the two of us, she turned to me.

"I want to apologize, this time for real. I never intended to lie to you," she said.

"But you did."

"To protect Alexandria, to protect my children."

"Bullshit," I stood her gaze. "Negan loves Judith and he would never harm a child in any way. You went with Daryl's plan because you agreed with him and because it was comfortable. I get it, I know what Negan did, I know how you feel, but that doesn't mean that you have the right to do something like that. Not to mention that you lied straight to my face the whole damn time. Eugene, Daryl, Carol, Jesus... all of them knew and they didn't say a fucking word."

"You are right. You are completely right," said Michonne. "I am truly sorry."

"Look, I already forgave all of you, though I'm really disappointed. I'm only mad at Carol and Daryl. So, let's just leave this."

"I understand. I do. You know, if it would be anyone else, no one ever would say a word about it. The only reason we are so involved is because it's Negan..." she continued in a suppressed voice. "I was there when he killed Glenn and Abraham... Daryl was there too. And Rosita, Aaron, Eugene... You haven't seen what we saw. You haven't felt that much fear... the way he terrified us... He asked Rick to chop off Carl's arm... for fuck's sake..." she started to cry as she said that out loud. I didn't even know about that. I couldn't help it, I hugged her. I got emotional at hearing their names. Michonne was right, about everything. She cried a little, then backed away and wiped her eyes." Sorry. I didn't mean to burst out like this," she said.

"It's okay. I get it. I understand. Really. But it doesn't change the fact how much anger I feel for Daryl and Carol right now."

"You have every right to be angry. You got caught up between us," she stayed silent for a moment, wiped her face again, then she looked me in the eye. "It's a complicated situation. If it was the other way around... if it was Rick... I would do anything to get back to him. I respect you for that. For staying here, to not to put others in danger."

"You were right about not knowing how he would react if he found out," I admitted, nodded understandingly. "I will deal with Daryl and Carol in my own way. I'm disappointed by everyone else, but it wasn't any of your fault. It was all Daryl and Carol."

"Thank you, for understanding," she said, then she continued in a more serious voice. "I have to tell you something else too. I need you to listen to me and promise you will stay here."

"That depends on what you are about to tell me," I stood her gaze, we looked each other in the eye for a minute, then Michonne exhaled sharply and spat it out.

"Negan escaped again. His cell was empty this morning. He is out."

I felt like my heart fell out of my chest.

"Does he know about the whisperers? He might be in danger!" I said worryingly.

"He knows about them. I have no idea where he might have gone. I don't know either if he knows about you being alive or not."

My mouth winced, I was about to cry again.

"I have to find him," I said.

"No, please, Quinn! We need you here," she said but I turned to leave her, what I didn't expect was that she grabbed my wrist and held me back. Eugene noticed and came to us.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Quinn, look at me," said Michonne. I did as she said. "You cannot go to whisperer territory," she said slowly, pressing every word.

"But Negan might be in danger!" I said, trying to pull my hand from Michonne's grasp, tears stinging my eyes.

"Quinn, you must stay here," said Eugene slowly. "I need you to help me fix the wall. Together."

"Let me go..." I sobbed. Eugene stepped behind me and embraced me. Michonne let out a sigh.

"What should we do?" she asked glancing at Eugene. Ezekiel was approaching us too. Michonne continued. "I leave her to you. Please, try to keep her here. I have to go now, I have to go to Oceanside," said Michonne, then she turned back to me. "Quinn, I understand you. But it's still Negan, who poses threat to us. Not to mention the whisperers. I need you to stay here. Help Eugene fix the wall. Please," she was almost like pleading to me. "It is very important not to cross whisperer territory now."

Eugene still held me, while Ezekiel watched questioningly, then he looked me in the eye too.

"Quinn, if you behave like this, I will have to lock you in a cell," said Ezekiel gently. "We can't afford to let you go. We need you here and if you cross the whisperers' territory, you know they will attack Alexandria. And their first target is Henry," said Ezekiel worryingly. Ezekiel was the only one who knew nothing about Negan's case, he didn't lie to me, and he was right about the whisperers and Henry's safety.

I couldn't help but cry. I turned around in Eugene's embrace and sobbed into his chest as he hugged me tightly. Ezekiel was looking at my back, puzzled, then he put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it gently. Michonne stroked my back.

"I have to go. They're waiting for us," she said quietly to Eugene and Ezekiel.

"Alright, go. We can handle her," said Ezekiel. I felt Michonne take her hand away from my back, and I heard her steps as she left.

"He is going to die," I sobbed into Eugene's chest. "The whisperers are going to kill him! I could have been together with him for so many years and I have to lose him like this..." I was hysterical and I was sobbing uncontrollably. Eugene started stroking my back as I was still sobbing into his chest. I felt like someone stabbed a thousand knives in my heart. Every inch of my body was shaking and shivering. I was sobbing so hard, I couldn't even remember when was the last time I was in a state like this. I felt like Negan already died.

"I'm sorry, Quinn. I'm so sorry," said Eugene, he tried to comfort me. "He is smart. He is going to talk his way out of anything. Trust him. He's going to get back to Alexandria."

"That's for sure. He can talk his way out of anything," Ezekiel repeated Eugene's words to reassure me, but it didn't comfort me at all. Whisperers have who knows how many people and Negan was all alone, by himself.

I stepped away from Eugene and wiped my face. I took some deep breaths. Eugene and Ezekiel didn't say a word. I wiped my face once more and straightened my back.

"Alright... I won't leave, only because of Henry's safety," I gulped. Ezekiel let out a sigh. "Let's fix the wall," I stated and headed back to the tree. Ezekiel nodded, Eugene followed me and we prepared to chop up the tree.

I couldn't help it, I loved Henry, I couldn't risk his safety, because of my feelings. It was the hardest thing to do, but I had to accept that Negan was on his own and the only thing for me was to pray for him, to get back to Alexandria alive. I was exploding inside.

...

Author's notes: Listen to "weapon" by Against the Current.

Thank You for reading! ❤