Chapter 26 - Marshmellows

Quinn, in the forest

Carol fell asleep fast after our little incident during the night. Henry was in the tent too. I was sitting at the camp with Daryl, the fire was already out, but we could still see each other, due to the moonlight.

My thoughts wandered, to Alexandria, to Negan, but then suddenly I was in reality again.

I glanced at Daryl, that's when I realized, he seemed so weary. It was my turn to ask:

"Are you alright?"

He glanced at me, nodding. I insisted.

"Are you sure? You didn't get bit or anything, right?"

He looked me in the eyes.

"I'm fine," he said, growling. I felt like there was something more to it. I wonder what happened to his hook-up woman, Carol told me about, but I didn't dare to ask. I didn't think he would answer me anyway.

I couldn't stop the memory coming back to my head when I confessed my feelings to Daryl back then. I felt so embarrassed around him since then. I don't know what I was thinking.

We didn't talk anymore, we were sitting there silently for an hour. Daryl was like meditating or listening or I don't know what he was doing, and I was occupied by my thoughts.

He might have had a point that I should distract myself from Negan, but how? I already decided, I'm going to practice my fighting skills again, once I get back to the Kingdom. Maybe that will help with controlling my thoughts as well.

"Ya know..." started Daryl out of nowhere, I looked at him surprised. I didn't expect him to talk again. "I lost someone out here."

I was literally shocked, that he talked to me again and that he told me this. He was staring at the ground, biting his lips.

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea. You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to.

"I know... The dog was hers," he nodded towards dog.

I nodded my head understandingly. Did he tell this to Carol while they were checking the traps? I bet he did. I was taken aback because he told me.

"Do you want... to talk about it?" I asked carefully. He was staring at the ground for a minute longer.

"I dunno... I dunno what happened. She disappeared" he said, shook his head.

"She left?"

"Or someone took her. I dunno..." he looked me in the eye for a moment, then back to the ground.

I nodded. Suddenly I realized why dog keeps bringing him dead body parts. He was still looking for Rick, sure, but I think he was looking for that mysterious woman too.

I put my hand on his shoulder, unsurely, but then he put his hand on my hand, so I squeezed his shoulder a little bit. It was a small gesture, but I knew he understood. He looked me in the eye again.

"I still feel guilty about ya," he said in his low voice. "I had no idea how much pain I caused, by sending you away... "

He thought he understood my pain, but it was completely different.

"I didn't lose you, because I never... had you," I had to force out the last words, it was so embarrassing, I looked away and let go of his shoulder. I tried to change the subject. "The one I lost is... Negan."

Daryl shook his head, disapprovingly, then he continued:

"I did that too. I caused you pain twice. I know he's an asshole... but now I understand, how you felt."