Chapter 33 - No Redemption

Negan, Sanctuary

Negan straightened up and gasped for air. He didn't really work out in jail, so he was out of shape. He looked at Big Ritchie's remains, Negan's face was very serious. He threw away the iron pipe and turned around. He headed back to get the motorcycle.

He pushed it outside and mounted it. The sun was shining. It will be faster to get back to Alexandria on a motorcycle. Please start. - He thought. He managed to start it and set off to the road. It was nice to ride, he felt the wind in his face. He kind of got it why Dixon was so fond of his motorcycle.

Negan felt ashamed that Judith was right about everything, but he just had to check. He became pretty sentimental. Guess it comes with aging. - he thought.

As he got closer to Alexandria his stomach shrank and he felt even more ashamed. He spotted someone on the road. It was a tiny someone. As he approached, he realized it was Judith... pointing her gun at him again. As soon as he realized the little girl shot him. He tried to dodge and as he ducked, he lost control over the motorcycle and fell off. He groaned as he hit the ground and rolled over, then he finally stopped. He struggled to sit up and then he found himself face to face with Judith, still pointing her gun at him.

"All right, slow down kid... I know you said you'd shoot but... damn."

Judith told him that everyone is looking for him then scolded him for swearing. Negan told her she was right and gave her back her compass. Judith lowered her gun and faced Negan.

"Walk in front of me, back to Alexandria," she said and pointed her gun again at him. Negan couldn't stop smiling. She was already a little boss. As they entered through the front gate a lot of people gathered around, they were making faces and whispering to each other.

"Well... guess that's how it feels to be a rockstar," Negan said. Judith glanced at him.

"Shut up. Better to be quiet now," she told him in a suppressed voice. Gabriel rushed forward and tied Negan's hands back and he let him.

"Nice work, Judith," he praised the little girl and led Negan back to his cell. They didn't say a word during their little journey. Bystanders went back to their daily duties. Gabriel shut the cell door into Negan's face and locked it irritatedly. Finally, he looked Negan in the eye.

"Why did you come back?" he asked strictly.

"I'd like to talk to Michonne," he said. "Sorry, man."

Gabriel frowned his eyebrows.

"She hasn't come back yet," he said and left. Negan let out a sigh. Why did he come back?

I came back because I couldn't survive on my own out there. I had nothing. And I want to be useful here. I want to help Judith to a brighter future. - He thought. He turned around and looked at his little cell. It was all too familiar, but this was his life now. He didn't have anything out there.

After a couple of hours, everything went quiet and peaceful again. Negan changed back into his jail uniform. He sat on his bed and continued reading the book he left there.

"Hey," said Judith at the window.

Negan glanced at her.

"Came to shoot me in the ass?" he asked jokingly.

"No, you're not dangerous anymore," she said. "Why did you come back, really?"

"I'll talk about it with your mom."

"You're up to no good, aren't you?" she asked, suspiciously.

"I get it why everybody thinks that but actually I have a friendly reason," he told the little girl.

"Friendly reason?" she asked, she found that answer curious.

"You can try, but I won't tell you. Only to your mom. One thing you should know is that I mean no harm," he said, glancing at the girl.

"I'm not sure if I should believe you," she said.

"Well, you know me. I'm a man of words."

"You sure are, you have a lot of words all the time," she said mocking him for talking so much. Negan didn't expect that, he giggled.

"Whoa! That hurts. I talk a lot, I know. But I also keep my promises."

"Okay," sighed Judith and left him. Negan kept smiling.

He made the little girl curious, yet his reason was so simple. She will be disappointed when she finds out, the only reason he came back was his inability to live on his own and he wanted to help their community. He had no other purpose anymore. He barely found this one aim to go for.

Negan wasn't really a survivor on his own. He always joined other people, groups, to survive. He wouldn't be able to go on alone. He hated Dixon for having Quinn banished from Alexandria, but he had to admit it, he was jealous of him, for having the skills to stay alive alone in the woods. Even if he didn't hate him, he wouldn't ask him to teach him about anything, because he didn't want to be alone. He was a social person and he wasn't good at anything, really. He would rather die than stay alone. He also needed someone to talk to. He just had to talk, all the time.

Gabriel might have been pissed off because he didn't bring food to Negan that day. Judith was aware and she sneaked a cookie to him through the window. She gave it to him then ran away quickly to not to be caught. Negan could barely say a "thank you".

He ate the cookie, then lay back on his bed. He was right back there, where he started. Except, he closed a part of his life at the Sanctuary. He was now sure that he wasn't that monster anymore. He just had to move on.

...

Author's notes: Listen to "Be Somebody" by Thousand Foot Krutch. Thank You for reading! ❤