Chapter 54 - Catch me if you can

The previous night

Negan was in his cell that night. He was about to fall asleep when he heard someone calling his name. It was Lydia. But after a while, the calling stopped. Negan found it curious, so he got up and headed outside to check. Just as he found the source of the voice, he saw three bullies beating up Lydia. He didn't think twice, grabbed them one by one, and pushed them away from Lydia, not realizing he accidentally killed one of them as she hit her head on the wall.

That's when a very angry Daryl arrived.

...

Henry was on his way to Siddiq's house. He ran inside and found Lydia and Daryl.

"Lydia! Are you alright?" he asked taken aback. The girl was full of bruises, bleeding from several wounds. Daryl stepped to him.

"Try to comfort her. She's all messed up," he said quietly. Henry nodded and hurried to sit next to her. Daryl left.

"I am so sorry for not being able to protect you," said Henry sincerely. Lydia glanced at him.

"I ran away, it's not your fault."

"But I feel terrible," he said and hugged her tightly. Lydia was still crying she sobbed into his shoulder as Henry was stroking her back. Suddenly Lydia raised her head.

"I haven't told Negan about that woman, Quinn!" she sprang to her feet and wanted to run outside, but Henry grabbed her.

"You should rest now."

"But he saved me, I have to tell him that his love is alive!"

Henry let out a sigh.

"Okay, I'm coming with you."

Lydia nodded and they went down to Negan's cell.

...

Meanwhile, Daryl told Carol what happened, then he went to the radio to call Michonne. He figured that she might already be at Hilltop.

Carol knew exactly what was going to happen. She quietly hurried to Negan's cell, making sure no one saw her.

Negan was sitting on his bed, wide awake. After a short conversation, they made a deal. Negan kills Alpha and Carol helps him clear his name. As Carol was about to leave, she turned back to Negan.

"I might get you a reward better than clearing your name," she said. Negan frowned his eyebrows, not knowing what she was talking about. Of course, Carol was talking about Quinn, but Negan had no idea. Carol left the basement and Negan ran towards the wall immediately. Carol quietly went back to Michonne's house and continued washing the dishes, like nothing happened.

...

Henry and Lydia arrived at the cell just to find it completely empty. They hurried to Michonne's house too.

"Mom! Negan escaped!" yelled Henry.

"What?" asked Carol, pretending not to know. Then she turned her gaze to Lydia.

"Are you alright?" she asked, trying to distract them.

"We have to alert the guards," continued Henry.

"He is not a threat at the moment. The whisperers are," said Carol.

"I agree. Let him be," said Lydia.

"But..." started Henry.

"You should go to sleep. Lydia needs to rest," she told them and pointed at the stairs. Henry gave in and escorted Lydia upstairs.

Carol waited for Daryl to come back.

Henry and Lydia lay down, next to each other.

"I wanted to tell him, so I could thank him for how kind he was to me," said Lydia quietly. "And now he disappeared, I might not get a chance to thank him."

Despite Henry hating Negan, he understood Lydia.

"I know," he said, examining Lydia's face. She glanced at him.

"I know you hate him, but he was kind to me, I can't hate him. Especially now, that he saved me from those... those..." her eyes filled with tears and started sobbing again. Henry quickly embraced her. She fell asleep from exhaustion in Henry's arms, crying.

...

Negan, outside of Alexandria

Negan was quickly over the wall as he already climbed over once. He hurried away from Alexandria in the dark. Carol's words were echoing inside his head. She is going to clear his name. And maybe get him a surprise? He was thinking hard about what it could be, but he had no idea. His heart pounding in his ears, he kept jogging into the woods. When he was far enough to be seen from the walls he slowed down and continued walking. He was thinking about Judith. He is going to clear the whisperers out so they wouldn't be a threat anymore. Lucille and Quinn would be so proud of him if they knew, how heroic he was behaving. He was back to his old self. Not that Negan anymore, that everyone feared. Only the whisperers had to fear him now.

Determined he walked deeper into the forest. Soon morning came and he found the river. He stopped to drink and wash his face. He didn't realize he was followed by a fanboy of his. He got on Negan's nerves the moment he started to speak. Negan was irritated by his face, his voice, his smile, everything. It was like when you do something embarrassing in high school and then your friends keep talking about it years later just to laugh at you. That's how Negan felt. He felt embarrassed by his past behavior, he wasn't that man anymore, and yet, this asshole wouldn't stop talking about his glory and he even started whistling the familiar tune... Negan was on edge to punch that shit in the face, but he held himself back. He even stole Negan's leather jacket from Alexandria and made a new wired baseball bat for him. Negan couldn't believe it.

They stumbled upon a woman and her son, Negan hurried to rescue them from walkers. He tried to get rid of the fanboy, but the guy was out of his mind. As soon as Negan turned away, the guy killed the woman and the child, because he wanted to impress Negan. He didn't think twice and put out that crazy asshole. Negan stood up, panting, covered in blood. He glanced at the dead bodies of the woman and the child and started screaming.

"FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!" he yelled, then kicked the lifeless body of the murderer. He looked around to find something which he could use to dig. He found a piece of metal sheet, bent it, and started digging a grave. He put the woman and the child together in the grave and buried them.

He returned to the murderer and went through his bag. He found the leather jacket and the new baseball bat. He grabbed them and headed to the woods, leaving the body behind.

He was so angry he was afraid he might get back to the previous Negan mode. He shook his head, tried to clear his mind, but he was so damn angry.

He reached the border of Alpha's land by the night and crossed it. He started yelling and killing walkers to attract the whisperers.

A day ago, he was at the comfort of Alexandria and now he was about to face death.

Soon Beta showed up and threw him on the ground.

Time to die or save Alexandria. - Negan thought and let Beta take him away. The giant grabbed his collar and pulled him up, covered his eyes, tied his hands, then pushed him to go.

They were walking silently while Negan kept talking. Beta got tired of him soon enough, but he didn't kill him, because he might have useful information about Alexandria. Beta covered his mouth instead of his eyes this time, to shut him up.

Soon enough Negan found himself in Alpha's camp. His heart was pounding in his ears, he was scared shitless on the inside, but nothing was showing on the outside. He was ready to prove himself to be worthy, so Alpha would spare his life.

At the same time, he couldn't shake Lucille out of his head. She was bald and pale just like Alpha... Focus! - he ordered himself in his head. He was ready to stay alive, whatever it takes.

...

Author's notes: Listen to "Let me be your superhero" by Smash into Pieces. Negan's in a hero mode again. ❤

Thank You for reading! ❤