Chapter 22 - Girls' night out

Quinn, Kingdom

I didn't feel any better in the next few days. Then two weeks later I still didn't feel a change. Carol was thinking very hard about how to manage my state. One evening I was laying on the couch, reading. I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I yelled. Carol came in.

"You should lock your door. It's not safe," she said.

"I always lock it for the night. I was just too lazy to get up just yet to do it."

Carol rolled her eyes.

"I came up with an idea on how to cheer you up," she smiled with a little twinkle in her eyes.

"What?" I was curious what could she come up with.

She held up two bottles of something.

"Red wine? Wow. Do you think it will help?" I asked her. I used to drink now and then, but I didn't drink since the dead started to walk around and eat the living.

"Come on. It'll be fun," she smiled at me. "I told Ezekiel I stay here for the night. Girls' night?"

"Wow... okay. Girls' night."

She quickly got to the kitchen and popped open the bottle. I thought immediately she needed this more than I did. She was heartbroken. I wonder if Ezekiel noticed anything about it. Carol served two plastic cups and sat beside me on the couch.

"To being alive," she said suddenly and clinked our plastic cups. I couldn't help but smile. I haven't smiled for a long time, but it was also a sad smile. We were both miserable, but I felt sorry for Carol now even more than for myself.

"Now that's it, we are getting somewhere," she said, referring to my faint smile.

"Let me guess, this was Daryl's idea, wasn't it? You never drank any alcohol."

Carol looked at me like a little child who has been busted for doing mischief.

"Alright, he gave me this idea, last time he was here. So what?" she poured another round. "I just didn't want to do it immediately."

"Carol... you can be honest with me. You didn't want to get drunk, because you were afraid Ezekiel might suspect something about Daryl."

She stared at me, her smile faded away. She nodded.

"You're right. I just don't know what to do. I messed up my life again. Whatever. I think we both need this drink."

"Alright, then go on."

We drank another round.

"I know you're messed up, but you chose Ezekiel," I reminded her.

"I know... It's just... It's so hard to imagine Daryl with someone else."

"Imagine then, that he had to watch you being with Tobin and then with Ezekiel."

She shrugged.

"I know... I'm so self-centered... I just... I needed love," she said with a sad smile. "First, with Tobin... I was just trying to get him jealous... I know, it's childish and it backfired because he reacted in the opposite way. He just accepted defeat. He is always too busy with saving everyone and I guess he didn't have any strength left for his personal emotions."

"Yeah, that sounds a lot like him. But you were pretty cruel, you know. You knew all along that he was in love with you and I knew that too, but still, you let me try with him. I mean... why did you let me kiss him? Why did you encourage me in the first place? You wanted him to tell me that he chooses you?"