Chapter 27 - Hilltop

Quinn, in the forest

I headed back to the camp. I heard Daryl and Henry still talking but then they fell silent as I approached. When I reached the camp, Henry was reading again and Daryl was checking his arrows. Daryl glanced at me when I got back. I sat down on the stump. Henry glanced at me too, then continued reading. Soon dawn started to break. I let out a yawn.

"You should've slept a little," said Daryl.

"I'm fine," I said confidently. "I'll sleep while we are going to Hilltop."

Daryl nodded.

"Then I'll sleep if ya don't mind."

"Go on," I told him. He went to sleep, Henry glanced at me.

"I told you I HAD a crush on him," I said in a suppressed voice. "Past tense. Not anymore."

Henry started to giggle.

"You're still staring at him."

"I'm looking at you too right now, does that mean I'm in love with you?"

Henry blushed a little, but that was my aim, to make fun of him. He shook his head, smiling.

"You know what I mean," he said.

"He is handsome, what can I do? I don't have any feelings for him anymore. That's over."

"Okay," said Henry, still smiling, and continued reading.

I let out a sigh and looked around. Didn't see anything interesting, didn't hear any movement. I looked up at the moon again. I could see the stars. It was beautiful. And at the same time, the bottom of the sky started to change color and it became more and more orange. The sun was rising.

"Are you not sleepy?" I asked Henry.

"Nah. I'm good. And I won't leave you anyway, because you are not allowed to have weapons," he said without looking up from the book.

"I have a piece of wood here, just in case."

He glanced at me and we both giggled. Sun was rising fast. As soon as it was up, Daryl came right back. He slept like three hours. He started to pack his stuff, to be ready to get going. Seems like Henry convinced him to come with us to Hilltop. Two hours later, Carol climbed out of the tent as well. She and Daryl exchanged totally ridiculous words with each other, then Carol couldn't stop smiling to herself. I stared at her with a smile.

"Don't look at me like that," she whispered.

"Ah-ha," I giggled. I formed the word "lovebirds" with my mouth, Carol rolled her eyes.

"Stop it," she whispered. We both smiled.

We packed the tent and helped Daryl with the rest, while he checked his motorcycle. When we packed everything, we got back to the carriage and headed to Hilltop, this time for real.

Daryl went with the motorcycle and we followed him with the carriage.

I fell asleep as soon as we hit the road. I was dreaming about brown eyes, smiles, hugs and kisses. "Just know that I will do anything to get out of here and find you."

I heard his voice again. I could hear his voice so clearly in my head since we met his people, who talked about the Sanctuary... Something switched inside me. I heard his voice, it kept coming back to my head.

I woke up when we stopped. I looked around, saw familiar walls. We arrived at Hilltop. Carol and Daryl were already hugging Tara and Jesus when I climbed out of the carriage, sleepy as hell.