Chapter 43 - Breaking news

Quinn, Hilltop

I was trying to read the book Jesus brought me, but I couldn't. My thoughts kept wandering away from the story. I was thinking about Henry and Daryl, I still didn't know anything about them. I was also thinking about Carol and Jesus, I was so lonely. And then I was thinking about Negan...

I let out a sigh and wiped my face. The girl who was taking care of me instead of Enid was very shy, she wouldn't say a word to me. It made me think, maybe I was just like her before. Maybe the others thought about me the same way I think about this girl. She was so serious, concentrated very hard every time she came to change the gauze.

Four days passed since I last saw Enid. Jesus left even earlier. I haven't seen Daryl for almost a whole week. I should have been calm and relaxed to heal faster, but I couldn't calm down. It didn't help that I couldn't get up from bed yet, so I couldn't even pace around the room to relieve some of the stress.

Finally, I heard the lock on the door click. Someone came in. I thought it was that girl but turned out to be a very weary Jesus and Daryl. I wanted to jump to my feet to greet them, I was so happy, but I couldn't of course. They came to my bed silently. I knew immediately something has happened.

"What happened? Where's Henry?" I asked in shock, I thought Daryl couldn't bring him back.

"Henry's fine. He is in the Kingdom with his parents and his new girlfriend, Lydia," said Jesus, his voice was hoarse. I was glancing back and forth between the two of them.

"Tell me what happened. Are you two okay?" I asked. They glanced at each other, then Jesus sat on the bed next to mine.

"Enid and Tara died," he said in a grave voice. I gasped for air, I couldn't breathe for a moment. Tears started to pour from my eyes instantly. I saw Jesus tear up too. Daryl turned his face away.

"Wha... what happened?" I asked quietly.

Daryl told me about how they fled from Alpha with Henry, then he got into a fight with Beta, then Jesus told me about the fair, the spikes, Henry's kidnapping, Siddiq's injury.

I listened carefully, breathing heavily, tears pouring down my cheeks. I didn't even know which event I should react to, so many things happened.

"So... Carol and Ezekiel now guarding Henry and Lydia?" I asked quietly, summarising.

"Yes," nodded Jesus. I looked at the two of them again.

"Are you sure you two are alright? Daryl, what happened with Beta? Did you got injured? Jesus, what happened with the skins?" I asked them worried glancing back and forth between the two of them. Daryl shook his head, shrugged his shoulder. I turned to Jesus, he shook his head too.

"I think we're both fine. Physically," he added. I nodded understandingly. I held out my right hand towards Jesus and he took it. Daryl was pacing in front of my bed.

"What... what is going to happen to me?" I asked quietly. I didn't mean to be selfish, but without Enid... how am I going to recover?

"We are taking turns with Daryl to help you. Enid told me a little about physiotherapy and I know about it since I learned martial arts, so... I think you'll be fine with us. We are also capable of changing gauze."

I nodded silently. I glanced at Daryl, he seemed very troubled. Jesus was just sad and grieving.

"I have to go and check on things. I also have to say a few words to Hilltop residents," Jesus sighed, while he slowly stood up and let go of my hand. I nodded. He turned around and left. Daryl stayed where he was.